Views
Helpful
Replies

sip static routes

rafi.imran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured two sip static routes pointing to two vxml gateways in call server.

If the first vxml gateway is down, it does not switch to the second static route pointing to the secondary vxml gateway, instead it returns 9292 error.

Is there anyway to handle vxml gateway redundancy without introducing CUPS.

Pls suggest..

8 Replies 8

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

Why do you have these configured? What is the pattern you are routing on?

If this is the NVRU label (something like 8111>), you should consider using "Send To Originator" instead if the ingress and VXML gateways are the same device.

Regards,

Geoff

My pattern is 77>.

My ingress(3845) and vxml(as5350)gateways are separate.

How do we handle redundancy of vxml gateways here?

Any Suggestions...

1 x CUPS will solve your problem and load balance your two VXML gateways. Now the CUPS is a single point of failure so you need a pair of CUPS, and you need to use DNS SRV records to find a CUPS. This gives a system with no single point of failure.

I cannot think of another way.

Regards,

Geoff

pantinor
Level 1
Level 1

You can use DNS SRV with local static routes as well, that is, no CUPS.

Check off use SRV in OAMP. Then create your static route and point it to your SRV cluster name. Do not indicate a port on the srv name.

Thanks for that. Just to clarify ....

So in the DNS SRV _tcp and _udp entries, one puts the two VXML gateways. DNS round-robins these destinations for SRV requests from the SIP service of the Call Server.

Is it the SIP service that does the retry?

It asks DNS, gets a gateway, tries it and it fails. It asks DNS again, it does the round-robin and returns the other gateway, and the SIP service tries that one.

Regards,

Geoff

99% DNS returns gateway ip which is up and running.

I dont think SIP service would retry.

Do we have any other config to be done except enabling DNS SRV in oamp.

DNS srv _tcp and _udp entries part of DNS server or call server?

Enable SRV. The SIP static route has the cluster name. Define this in DNS under the forward lookup zone, and add the SRV records under that.

DNS is just a resolver - it will not try to see if the target is running. It cannot "ping" the address. The SIP service must try, fail, then ask DNS again.

Regards,

Geoff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: