Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Tech Refresh Upgrade of UCCE 7.5 to UCCE 9 (New Hardware)

Hi,

Planning an upgrade from UCCE 7.5 (MCS HW) to UCCE 9 (New UCS VM HW). Client wants to retain the Hostnames and IPs and hence plan to do the upgrade in an isolated network.

The high level plan below, questions in Red:

• •1. Install Windows 2008 R2 on new Hardware – but since it is an isolated network how will we join the corporate domain or should we join a test Domain first and then can we change the domain to corporate domain later?
  • •2. The guide says ‘you must first manually delete the WebView key from the registry prior to running regutil.exe to export.’ – BUT if we delete this entry on the source server will it not stop the Webview from functioning there?
  • •3. Install SQL Server 2005 SP 4
  • •4. EDMT from old 7 to new 8 – can we EDMT whilst old 7 being in production? I am assuming EDMT requires both source and destination dabases to have network connectivity - IF YES will I not get Same IP address conflict errors as the client wants to maintain teh same Hostnames and IPs?
  • •5. Install UCCE 8.0.1a and import exported registry
  • •6. Patch UCCE 8.5.3
  • •7. Backup and Uninstall SQL 2005 32 bit and Install and restore to SQL 2008 64 bit
  • •8. EDMT from 8.5 to 9.0.1
  • •9. Patch / Upgrade 9.0.1

Correct me on the Plan as well Please.

Assist Please.

Thanks.

Kartik

Everyone's tags (2)
7 REPLIES

Hi Kartik,

I would recommend you to push the customer and get the new ip addresses and join the corporate domain as the upgrade itself is very complicated and creating test domain would just add up the additional complexity.

•1. Install Windows 2008 R2 on new Hardware – but since it is an isolated network how will we join the corporate domain or should we join a test Domain first and then can we change the domain to corporate domain later?

•2. The guide says ‘you must first manually delete the WebView key from the registry prior to running regutil.exe to export.’ – BUT if we delete this entry on the source server will it not stop the Webview from functioning there?

Dont delete this from source system. Anyway you cannot use regutil on Version 7 systems and have to manually export the registry and import it back on Version 8. Before running the setup delete the webview registry manually on the new version 8 hardware.

• •3. Install SQL Server 2005 SP 4
  • •4. EDMT from old 7 to new 8 – can we EDMT whilst old 7 being in production? I am assuming EDMT requires both source and destination dabases to have network connectivity - IF YES will I not get Same IP address conflict errors as the client wants to maintain teh same Hostnames and IPs?

Yes, you can. Running EDMT would not hamper your production setup.

•5. Install UCCE 8.0.1a and import exported registry

• •6. Patch UCCE 8.5.3
  • •7. Backup and Uninstall SQL 2005 32 bit and Install and restore to SQL 2008 64 bit
  • •8. EDMT from 8.5 to 9.0.1
  • •9. Patch / Upgrade 9.0.1

Thanks Ishaan

The client does not want to change the IPs, I suggested we keep the same IPs and change the hostname so that atleast we can join the corporate domain - but they are 'old school' and dont wanna do that as well.

So we will have to built the boxes in an isolated network on a LAB AD and then after the upgrade remove all old servers from the CORP AD and then put new servers in a Workgroup and then join them to the CORP AD.

How does this sound please?

Regards,

Kartik

I dont think its a good idea. Tech Refresh should match your actual production scenarios.

You should have different ip addresses and different hostnames and instance number for this setup.

If for some reason your upgrade goes unsuccessful, you will still be able to keep them under the same corporate domain and continue troubleshooting which will not be the case if you have the same ip addresses.

How about I do not use LAB AD and join the servers to teh PROD AD using new IPs/Names and when done I just remove the OLD ICM from the AD and RENAME the NEW ICM to OLD NAMES?

Re: Tech Refresh Upgrade of UCCE 7.5 to UCCE 9 (New Hardware)

As per my understanding. That's not possible either way, via lab to prod or direct in prod, swapping host/IP. That's a matter of domain Microsoft not Cisco. Still if you want to test go ahead setup a lab and try.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Amir - what bit is not supported sorry - changing the hostnames in an existing domain - or changing just the domain from LAB to PROD?

As per the later i.e. changing the domain - there is info around it in the staging guide - and use of UMT to migrate them users as well.

Assist Please.

Thanks,

Kartik

Hi karthik;

First of all thanks for the post.

I have the similar situation and I am very new to UCCE upgrade and impelment.

We have one upgrade from UCCE7.5 (MCS ) to UCCE 8.5 (UCS VM) and also CUCM 7.1.3 to CUCM 8.5.

Could you please share me the strategy and how is your upgarde going or finished.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Please share your personal mail id if possible.

Regards

Debashis

Views
Helpful
Replies