Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

UCCE 7.5 to 9 Tech Refresh (SQL .bak vs ICMDBA vs CGUpgrade)

Current UCCE 7.5.7

Want to migrate to 9 - New HW

There is NO IP connectivity between current Prod and New HW at all.

So the Plan is:

From Prod

1. Take registry backup manually / using RegUtil

2. Take SQL 2005 backup using CGUpgradeBackup.exe

New Rogger HW
3. Install Windows 2008 R2 server Rogger A with NEW name and IP, join it to a completely new Domain
4. Export Cisco System, Inc registry from production Rogger and Import it to New Rogger

5. Export host file from production Rogger on to new server
6. Install SQL 2005 SP4 32 bit on Rogger A

7. Restore Prod SQL backup to New HW using SQL Mgmt Studio .bak restore / CGUpgradeBackup.exe

8. Install and Run the EDMT 8.0 on the new Rogger A and run upgrade

9. Re-import the database using CGUpgradeBackup.exe

10. Uninstall SQL 2005 and install SQL 2008 R2 with latest SP, and restore DB again using CGUpgradeBackup.exe

11. Install EDMT 9.0 database migration tool on to New Rogger and run upgrade.

12. Run Domain Manger keeping the same Facility and Instance name

13. Install ICM 9.0 straight with exported registry.dat file

14. Run ICMDBA to create logger database

15. Proceed with Rogger web setup

16. Setup PG & AW-HDS servers as per ICM 9 staging guide and start PGs and Distributor and Distributor will get all config and scripts from the Logger.

Questions:

Step 1, Step 4 & Step 13 above: Will RegUtil work on Prod 7.5.7? If not, should I be take manual Registry .reg backup and restore it onto New HW before installing SQL? Also - Step 13 says to choose to use the backed’up .dat file during install - so should I take a manual reg backup and restore to new HW OR should I use RegUtil backup and use it during install OR BOTH? And at what point during ICM install do I get to choose this .dat file? And how come .dat - regsitry backup is usually .reg?

ALSO - with my reasearch till now its my understanding that it has to be 2 stage EDMT upgrade - but I dont need to go to 801a then 8.5 then 9 - I can straight go to 9 - your thoughts please?

Step 2 & Step 7 above: Should I take a SQL Database .bak backup usnig SQL Mgmt Studio or CGUpgradeBackup.exe will work? And during restore should I restore the .bak file to CGUpgradeBackup.exe will work?

Step 3 above: Can I joing the New Rogger HW to a complete new IP, new host name and new name domain or I have to make sure to keep these same as existing prod?

Step 6 above: Can I install SQL 2005 32 bit on WIndows 2008 64 bit? If not, what is the solution please?

Step 8 above: Considering that I already have SQL data from prod server in Step 7 - Can I common ground upgrade using EDMT at this stage as there is no source - destination IP connectivity?

Step 14 above: I am hoping that creating logger database here using ICMDBA will not over write the already exported SQL config? And do we need to take ICMDBA db export from PROD and import it here using ICMDBA?

Step 15 above: Will the Facility and Instance be already created in ICM Websetup - as we have imported .dat backup?       

Assist Please.

Thanks & Regards,

Kartik

10 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Kartik,

Did you get the answer for this question .Because currently we are having similar kind of issue,we are trying to upgrade from UCCE 8.5.3(SQL 2005) to UCCE 9.0(SQL 2008) (Techonology refresh). So if there is no network connectivity between the source and destination machine can i use the CGupgrade tool to take backup from the source and import into the Target machine. if there is sql version difference will that cause any issues?

If it don't cause any issues means can you please share procedure for doing this since i didn't find any upgrade document which will explain this upgrade procedure.

Thanks in advance,
Sasikumar.

HTH, please rate all useful posts! Sasikumar.

SasikumarIf there is no

Sasikumar

If there is no network connectivity b/w source and destination, dont use cgupgrade.

Replacte the system in the new environment first - just the Rogger.

From Prod rogger, take RegUtil.exe .dat backup, SQL .bak backup and ICMDBA flat files backup of Logger DB.
Install a temp-replaca windows & SQL box to match the existing rogger
On the new destination server, restore this .bak SQL first

Install same ICM version as prod server using .dat Registry

Then ICMDBA and create Logger DB and Import the flat files from Prod to it.

Now that you have a replac rogger on new environment - start your migrations and use this box as source during EDMT Tech Refresh

Kartik Bhatia

Silver

Kartik,

I did a very similar upgrade for a customer back in September that took them from 7.2.7 to 9.0.4. I did not use CGUpgrade. Here's what I did...

Old Production Server:

Windows Server 2003

SQL Server 2000

IPCC 7.2.7

Temporary Server:

Windows Server 2008R2

SQL Server 2005 with Service Pack 4. So this would be version 9.00.5000

EDMT 8.0 (EDMT_801_bld6.zip)

I recommend that you add a second partition for this so that you can do all your database work on that partition and not your C:\ partition.

Also, I created a SQL user specifically for this and named the user edmt with full sysadmin permission.

New Production Server:

Windows Server 2008R2 with Service Pack 2. So this would be verion 10.50.4000

EDMT 9.0 (EDMT_901.zip) - make sure you have this on your AW-HDS and Rogger servers

Created a full backup of the awdb, hds, and logger databases. You'll have to coordinate with whomever to figure out when the best time to do this because you'll have a gap in data. If you're not a 24x7 call center, obviously it's best to do this on the weekend. Right click the database --> All Tasks --> Backup Database. I only backed up databases that are on Side A - make sure the integrity of your data is good on both sides.

Database - Complete

Destination - Where ever you choose, however, make sure the filename you choose has the .BAK file extension. So for instance, you can set the destination to C:\hds.BAK

On the options tab:

Check the box to verify backup upon completion (this makes the process longer, but gives you peace of mind)

Uncheck the box to remove inactive entries from tranaction log

Uncheck the box to check media set name and backup set expiration

I had to do this twice - the first time to get everything up and running so that I can configure UCCE and that our reporting guru can get rolling with CUIC. The weekend of the cut during a maintenance window, I re-did all this so that there was no missing data.

From your full backups, you should have three or four files that have a .bak file extension:

_hds

_sideA

***_baA (if you have a dialer - more on this later)

You can not run EDMT on the awhd database

Move all three databases to your temporary server that has SQL 2005. Open SQL 2005 and create your databases. Once your databases are created, do the following for each:

Right click database --> Tasks --> Restore --> Database

- To database: make sure this is the correct database. If you're restoring the hds, make sure this says _hds

- Select From device and choose your .BAK file

- Under the Select the backup sets to restore pane, check the box for Restore

In the right pane, click on Options

- Restore options: Check the box Overwrite the existing database (WITH REPLACE)

- Under the Restore the database file as pane, verify the Restore As path is correct.

Once this is all set, click OK to start the restore process - repeat this for the rest of your databases.

Now, open EDMT 8.x and select Common Ground. For

Authentication: SQL Server Authentication

Domain Name: leave this blank. If it has a domain name in it, delete it

Username: the username of the SQL user you created. As I mentioned previously, I created a user called edmt with sysadmin permissions

Host Name/IP Address: Should be greyed out, but should be populated with the IP address of the server you're on

SQL Server Port Number: 1433

Database Name: Select either hds, logger, or dialer (again, more on this later)

Click OK and it should update the database schema from 7.x to 8.x. As soon as your done with updating the DB schema for all your databases, repeat what was done above. Backup the databases to .BAK and move them over to their respective servers.

What I found best to do with the 9.x databases... create the DBs on HDS and Logger (not through ICMdba), restore the databases with the .BAK files, and update the database schema from 8.x to 9.x. Once EDMT updates the schema, backup the databases to .BAK files, delete the databases you created and re-create them through ICMdba. Once created, restore the databases and you should be good to go. I did exactly all this and worked like a charm.

Some things about all this:

- Once your 9.x databases are good to go, make sure that the sizing is still good. I noticed that the sizing of my databases was definitely not the number that I came up with, so I had to increase it.

- Make sure your stored procedures for the purge jobs are pointing to the correct path in the registry. For whatever reason, mine did not, so the database was not purging. Luckily, I caught this after we cut and made the necessary modifications.

- If you don't have enough disk space on your 7.x server to backup your databases, you'll have to back up to a network drive or external storage. I didn't have physical access to the server and I couldn't back up to a network drive because SQL server was running as a local user rather than a domain user, I could make the change, however, that would require stopping the service, and I could not since it's a 24x7 call center. Instead, I had to run this in Query Analyzer against the master database:

exec xp_cmdshell 'NET USE Y: "\\servername\sharedfolder" /user:domain\domainusername password'

- Make sure all your users are created (CUIC user, quality management user, etc...)

- Make sure loggers are in synch by running this query on logger A and B:

SELECT MAX(RecoveryKey) FROM Config_Message_Log -- the numbers should match

- Verify logger is replicating to all HDS servers (rpl process)

- Verify that there are no replication issues. If there are rep issues, you'll see mini dump files in aw\dis\logifles folder

- Check windows event viewer for any issues

- Make sure the big tables are being populated like TCD, RCD, Agent_Skill_Group

You'll likely have to Initialize Local Database - just run it from the Unified CCE Tools --> Administration Tools

To answer your questions:

Step 1, Step 4 & Step 13 above: Will RegUtil work on Prod 7.5.7? If not, should I be take manual Registry .reg backup and restore it onto New HW before installing SQL? Also - Step 13 says to choose to use the backed’up .dat file during install - so should I take a manual reg backup and restore to new HW OR should I use RegUtil backup and use it during install OR BOTH? And at what point during ICM install do I get to choose this .dat file? And how come .dat - regsitry backup is usually .reg? ALSO - with my reasearch till now its my understanding that it has to be 2 stage EDMT upgrade - but I dont need to go to 801a then 8.5 then 9 - I can straight go to 9 - your thoughts please?

- I didn't export the registry - I think that the margin of error is too much exporting out of 2K3 ICM 7.x to 2K8R2 ICM 9.x. Instead, I just did a stare and compare - it took a while, but it's the best solution in my opinion.

- You cannot EDMT from 7 to 9, it has to be 7 --> 8 --> 9

Step 2 & Step 7 above: Should I take a SQL Database .bak backup usnig SQL Mgmt Studio or CGUpgradeBackup.exe will work? And during restore should I restore the .bak file to CGUpgradeBackup.exe will work?

- As I mentioned before, I backed up SQL database to .BAK and did not use CGUpgradeBackup

Step 3 above: Can I joing the New Rogger HW to a complete new IP, new host name and new name domain or I have to make sure to keep these same as existing prod?

- You can use a new Rogger hostname and IP address. I have not tried this on a new domain, but if this is going to be on a new domain, make sure you've ran domain manager and went through all those steps prior to going through all this.

Step 6 above: Can I install SQL 2005 32 bit on WIndows 2008 64 bit? If not, what is the solution please?

- Yes, you can run SQL 2005 32 bit on 2008 R2. Make sure you have SP4 installed!

Step 8 above: Considering that I already have SQL data from prod server in Step 7 - Can I common ground upgrade using EDMT at this stage as there is no source - destination IP connectivity?

- I recommend Common Ground all the way

Step 14 above: I am hoping that creating logger database here using ICMDBA will not over write the already exported SQL config? And do we need to take ICMDBA db export from PROD and import it here using ICMDBA?

- As I mentioned before, I created new hds and logger databases (not through ICMdba), restored the 8.x databases to the newly created databases, ran EDMT common ground against them to update the DB schema to 9.x, backed them up to .BAK, deleted the databases out of SQL, re-created the databases through ICMdba and finally restored the DBs with my freshly updated DBs that I ran EDMT against

Step 15 above: Will the Facility and Instance be already created in ICM Websetup - as we have imported .dat backup?

- I did not create a .dat backup, but even if I did, I wouldnt trust it. I would still go through web setup to double-triple-quadruple check all the necessary information.

- The dialer is interesting. If you're planning on doing this, please be mindful that you'll be coming from a SCCP dialer - that's not supported in the virtual environment, so you'll have to move to SIP.

Hi Omar,First of all  ,Thank

Hi Omar,

First of all  ,Thank you and really appreciate your great work ,very detailed explanation.

I am doing the same upgrade next ,i have followed the similar approach ,have few questions below, could you please some time to respond please.

1. I did 2 approaches for EDMT

a.EDMT 8.0 Tech Refresh (interim server),EDMT 9.0 Tech Refresh (Target New Prod Server)

b. EDMT 8.0 Tech Refresh(interim server), EDMT 9.0 COmmon Ground (Target New Prod Server)

My question is  

In both the approaches when i do backup of the 9.0 DB migrated to a common location using SQL studio, the size of the file is comparitively less size than SQL backup of 7.5 DB(actual) or 8.0 DB(migrated) . But the data/configuration everything holds good.

In numbers, if 7.5 has total of 100GB , 8.0 has 100GB but when i see 9.0 has 34 GB. 

Not sure why this much difference ,any thoughts please.

I will try EDMT common ground 8.0 and 9.0 next and will see if there is any difference.

Manoj

Got the cause,  SQL 2008 R2

Got the cause,  SQL 2008 R2 default standard setting is compressed ,due to which backup will reduce the size of BAK file. I did change under SQL backup options to do not compress backup ,it showed the actual size .

Thanks Omar for a detailed

Thanks Omar for a detailed response and sorry for not replying earlier.

I need your assistance again please. I actually did the above upgrade all fine as follows:

Install Windows 2008 R2 with SQL 2005.
EDMT Tech Refresh from Prod to new server.
Take CGUpgradeBackUp and Uninstall 2008, then install SQL 2008 and Restore CGupgrade backUp
Install SQL 8.0.1A with 8.5.4 patch suing .dat registry from Prod. Run EDMT 10 Common Ground. Install ICM 10 using .dat registry from same box ICM 8.5 to upgrade from  8.5 to 10. All Good.

Now I need to Upgarde UCCE 7.2 to 10.5 using your method i.e. NOT using CGUpgrade and NOT using .dat registry. We dont want HDS DB, we only want logger DB.

So Please assist with Steps below:

1. On TEMP Server. Install SQL 2005 Run EDMT 8 Tech Refresh to get icm_SideA data from 7.2 Prod server to this new server. Is there a difference in taking .bak fomr Prod and use it here and do common ground - as I can use Tech Refresh and still get data from Prod to this new server anyways?

2. Take .bak backup from TEMP SERVER and mpve .bak to NEW LOGGER.
3. Restore .BAK to SQL 2008 on NEW LOGGER. Correct? Is this what you meant when you say, create the Logger DBs(not through ICMdba)?
4. Using EDMT 9 Common Ground, update the database schema from 8.x to 9.x.
5. backup the databases to .BAK files, delete the databases you created and re-create them through ICMdba and then restore .BAK. But for me to be able to create them via ICMDBA, I will have to install ICM 9 first and run WebSetup for Logger for the DBs to appear in ICMDBA, right?
6. Since I have to go to 10.5, I can now EDMT 10.5 Common Groud to update schema and then will I still have to do .bak backup/restore, then Run ICM 10.5 setup and recreate DB via ICMDBA please?

Thanks & Regards,

Kartik Bhatia

Silver

Restore .BAK to SQL 2008 on

Restore .BAK to SQL 2008 on NEW LOGGER. Correct? Is this what you meant when you say, create the Logger DBs(not through ICMdba)?

Depending on the customer, you may not need to move the logger since that information should already be in the historical database that you should be moving. If the customer does choose to keep the logger DB, then take a backup of the 7.x version and restore it to your temp server (SQL 2005). Use EDMT to update the database schema and backup that updated DB. 

Since I have to go to 10.5, I can now EDMT 10.5 Common Groud to update schema and then will I still have to do .bak backup/restore, then Run ICM 10.5 setup and recreate DB via ICMDBA please?

We have found that using EDMT for 10.5 is buggy - the database stores the incorrect version number. So it's best to go to 10 first then 10.5

They dont want HDS DB, they

They dont want HDS DB, they onlt want config and call flows i.e. Logger DB. I tried EDMT 10 first and then EDMT 10.5 - it said your DB is already up to date, no need.

Also, can you assist with point 5 in my above post - for me to be able to create DBs via ICMDBA, I will have to install ICM 9 first and run Logger WebSetup for the DBs to appear in ICMDBA, right?

Above plan is Plan A, I have another idea I wanted to run by you:

Route 1: Get TEMP box to 10.5 and copy config acroos to New Prod.

Temp box SQL 2005, EDMT 8 to get LGR DB from Prod. .BAK backup. Uninstall SQL 2005 and Install SQL 2008. Restore .BAK. EDMT 9 Common Ground. .BAK Backup. EDMT 10 or EDMT 10.5 Common Ground (as I tried 10 first and then 10.5 and it didnt work). Install UCCE 10.5 and do ICMDBA. Now take ICMDBA backup of config.

On Prod Box - stage it with SQL and ICM 10.5 & ICMDBA - and restore ICMDBA confif taken from Temp box above. Set up PG and HDS 10.5 both side boxes, start service, logger A will copy everything to AWDB. We done wnat HDS anyways.

Ideas?

Thanks & Regards,

Kartik Bhatia

Current Version: UCCE version

Current Version:

UCCE version: 8.5.4

Windows 2008

SQL 2005

Hardware: UCS B Series

Target Upgrade Version

UCCE 10.0(1)

Windows 2008

SQL 2008

Hardware: UCS B Series

Do you have any high level direction to upgrade UCCE per above information.

Kind Regards

Anwar Ahmed

Dear br. omar;

Dear br. omar;

I have gone through your post and it was very usefull.

I have a migration from ucce 7.5 to 10.5 and I am folling this procedure.

1. I did a backup of AWDba dn HDS db from AW 7.5.

2.In the temp 8.0 AW installed windows 2008 r2 and SQL 2005 SP4.

3.After that i created 2 DB AW and HDS and export the backup.

4.i ahve the sa user with sysadmin access.

5.while running the edmt tool 8.0 with common ground it is saying database not installed.

Apreciate your advice and suggestion.

I have put some screen for your reference.

Regards

Debashis

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content