cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCE - ICM script - Database Lookups

ANTHONY SCOTT
Level 1
Level 1

I have never had occasion to use ICM/UCCE's ability to access external databases from an ICM script.

I am looking at this for the first time for a customer requirement, where they want to

be able to access several databases depending on the script, and the DBs

don't all reside on the same SQL server. Some of the DBs reside on their own separate SQL servers.

At some point in the past, someone made the statement to me that ICM/UCCE

was restricted to using the DB Lookup node against one single SQL server.

In looking now, I can find nothing in the Cisco documentation to suggest such a limitation - quite

the opposite. Everything I have read suggests this should be fine, and I can see

how I think this ought to be done in ICM config and in the DB Lookup node.

So, should this work OK, or is there a limitation hidden away somewhere in the the doco that I haven't stumbled on yet?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gnanem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes you can have multiple external DB for ICM db lookup. The table used for db lookup should be part of the separate database, preferably on a separate server, in order not to overload the ICM with all the queries you will send to it.

Regards,

Gnaneswaran.

-Pls rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gnanem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes you can have multiple external DB for ICM db lookup. The table used for db lookup should be part of the separate database, preferably on a separate server, in order not to overload the ICM with all the queries you will send to it.

Regards,

Gnaneswaran.

-Pls rate helpful posts

Hi,

this whole DBLookup thing looks like a bad joke.

1. You can use Microsoft SQL server only.

2. By default, the user account that connects should be 'sa' with a blank password. C'mon, you guys.

3. There are even more restrictions - check this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/265274 Thanks God we've got geoff@hp.com.

So if you happen to have a customer willing to do some changes in his databases - you're lucky.

If not, you still have two options:

a, use IP IVR/CVP scripts/applications in order to get some information from a database;

b, use Application Gateways - these require a thin layer of middleware but if you take a look around, you'll find many implementations.

Good luck.

G.

Although ICM DB Lookup has many restrictions, if you can make it work it has a number of advantages. It is fast, simple and easy to code.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

have a query on this context. Can we have this external DB set it up in AW\HDS server ? is that approach is supported by Cisco or will have any challenges from Cisco's best practice perspective ?

regards

Sooraj Gopi