Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

UCCE software components

Hi,

Iam new to UCCE environment (have bit knowledge and worked in UCCX), and now iam in need to learn about Enterprise. My company is ready to provide me Enterprise lab setup but they need requirement like BOM for UCCE.

when i browsed i got this cisco link :https://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/download/atp/ucce_lab_design_d3.pdf

so based on this i have prepared the general requirement as follows;

Cisco® Unified ICM     -     A standalone server in MCS
Cisco® Unified IP IVR     -  A standalone server in MCS
Cisco® Unified CVP-          A standalone server in MCS
CTI Server-                         -A standalone server in MCS
CTI OS server                    -A standalone server in MCS
Peripheral Gateway (PG)-(Is this Gateway is used  only for this purpose)
Cisco® Unified Communications Manager Pub
Cisco® Unified Communications Manager Sub
PSTN gateway
WAN gateway
Windows server with AD

With Necessary license for all

Is this correct my doubt mostly on the CTI/OS server is that software component which can be installed on same machine along with CVP/IVR/ICM or is that a standalone server. WHat about PG ?

Thanks,

Hari

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Re: UCCE software components

Everyone has different ideas here.

My strong recommendation is to use one big box - say a HP DL380G6 high performance box with 16GB of RAM and run VMWare ESX. Then you can use the installs of CUCM and CUPS that know they are on VMs and self-licence. There are huge advantages to having the whole system on Virtual machines on ESX through rebuilding from Virtual Applicances to making snapshots and rolling back - it's all so easy on VMWare.

But if your company does not have VMWare ESX, then you need boxes - a few boxes.

I would not recommend buying MCS boxes from Cisco as they are HP/IBM boxes priced at a premium. Just buy the box from HP or IBM (naturally, I recommend HP boxes).

What you REALLY must learn about is a correct and deep understanding of the duplex nature of ICM components, so I strongly suggest Progger A, Progger B, AW/HDS. A Progger runs the logger, router and agent PG (with a PIM for CUCM, a PIM for IP IVR, and a PIM for CVP). The progger also runs CG (CTI Server) and CTIOS (CTI Object Server). You want the separate DC.

So that's four boxes.

Now a box for each of CUCM, IPIVR and CVP.

So we are up to 7 boxes.

It's nice to have a Pub-Sub pair, if you can afford it. But most don't do this in the lab, so I would pass.

You should get a combined gateway - PSTN/VXML - for CVP. Something like a 2811. You need an E1/T1 card of course, and can carve off calls for CVP and CUCM/IPIVR off the one set of channels. 1 E1/T1 will be enough.

So 7 boxes and a router.

You will also need a SIP Proxy, in my opinion, to get a correct understanding of how CVP works. It can work without a proxy, but this is not something you would ever deploy so you won't learn what you need. You used to be able to install a Presence server (CUPS) leveraging the CUCM DLUs and use it just for the SIP Proxy, but Cisco have recently blocked that in favour of CUSP (SIP Proxy on a router). That's an expensive proposition and I don't know if there is a way to do a lab more cheaply.

Regards,

Geoff

2 REPLIES
Green

Everyone has different ideas here.

My strong recommendation is to use one big box - say a HP DL380G6 high performance box with 16GB of RAM and run VMWare ESX. Then you can use the installs of CUCM and CUPS that know they are on VMs and self-licence. There are huge advantages to having the whole system on Virtual machines on ESX through rebuilding from Virtual Applicances to making snapshots and rolling back - it's all so easy on VMWare.

But if your company does not have VMWare ESX, then you need boxes - a few boxes.

I would not recommend buying MCS boxes from Cisco as they are HP/IBM boxes priced at a premium. Just buy the box from HP or IBM (naturally, I recommend HP boxes).

What you REALLY must learn about is a correct and deep understanding of the duplex nature of ICM components, so I strongly suggest Progger A, Progger B, AW/HDS. A Progger runs the logger, router and agent PG (with a PIM for CUCM, a PIM for IP IVR, and a PIM for CVP). The progger also runs CG (CTI Server) and CTIOS (CTI Object Server). You want the separate DC.

So that's four boxes.

Now a box for each of CUCM, IPIVR and CVP.

So we are up to 7 boxes.

It's nice to have a Pub-Sub pair, if you can afford it. But most don't do this in the lab, so I would pass.

You should get a combined gateway - PSTN/VXML - for CVP. Something like a 2811. You need an E1/T1 card of course, and can carve off calls for CVP and CUCM/IPIVR off the one set of channels. 1 E1/T1 will be enough.

So 7 boxes and a router.

You will also need a SIP Proxy, in my opinion, to get a correct understanding of how CVP works. It can work without a proxy, but this is not something you would ever deploy so you won't learn what you need. You used to be able to install a Presence server (CUPS) leveraging the CUCM DLUs and use it just for the SIP Proxy, but Cisco have recently blocked that in favour of CUSP (SIP Proxy on a router). That's an expensive proposition and I don't know if there is a way to do a lab more cheaply.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff

i am expecting the same kind of answer

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content