Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

UCCE Upgradation from UCCE 8.5.3 MCS - UCS - 9.0.3

Dears;

We are planning to upgrade our setup from UCCE – 8.5.3 which is running on bare Metal MCS BOX (WIN-2003 and SQL – 2005) to UCCE – 9.0.3 on UCS – BOX .

Request you to clarify below points.

• •1.       UCCE – 9.0.3 planning to integrate to the existing Domain, where 8.5.3 is already running on same Domain, which is in production.

• •2.       If hope, We can use existing domain for UCCE – 9.0.3, if so can I use same facility, instance name for UCCE – 9.0.3   as we have in UCCE – 8.5.3 , How about instance number can I use the instance number as 0 for new setup – 9.0.3

• •3.       If it’s not advisable to use same facility, instance name for UCCE – 9.0.3, How can I change the instance name according to new environment since EDMT doesn’t give option to change destination database name according new instance.

• •4.       According to upgrade Guide, First we need to install SQL and run EDMT to take back up of Logger/HDS , While taking  backup when I select the source Database for EX: lab_SideA  in the Destination Database it doesn’t give option to change Database Name where it is completely grade out.

• •5.       Once I map the destination Folder, where I usually use to store MDF and LDF file i.e. Drive E: according to OVA, Database is automatically inserted in SQL-2008 in the name of lab_SideA

Here lab  is the instance Name which is running on existing 8.5.3 if it’s not advisable to use same instance how do I change the database name here according to new setup.

• •6.       Can I simply rename the database name according to new setup in SQL-2008, let say instance name for new setup is newlab (i.e. newlab_SideA) 

• •7.       If it’s not recommended to change DB name, can I take backup of DB which is inserted in SQL-2008 through SQL Backup and Restore and install ICM 9.0.3 create tables through ICMBDA according to new instance and I can restore the DB backup since it has updated DB Schema.

• •8.       Even above step is not recommended, Once I restored the DB in SQL-2008 in new machine which were taken from EDMT, can I go for installation of ICM 9.0.3 and create new Instance and facility other than one which is for 8.5.3 and save the instance in Websetup and then I can create tables through ICMDBA which will allow to create DB name according to new setup i.e. newlab_SideA by doing so will it mess up the DB since SQL already having DB which is restored through EDMT i.e. lab_SideA and create tables through ICMDA will insert on top of it or SQL-2008 will have two different DB i.e. lab_SideA which is restored through EDMT and newlab_SideA which is created through ICMDBA

• •9.       We are planning to change IP address of UCCE – 9.0.3 , So I believe no use of taking Registry Backup from existing environment , If so when installing UCCE – 9.0.3 can I go for fresh installation directly instead of Tech-Refresh right ? By doing so is there any complication.

• •10.   Once I built-up entire Side A, can I go for side B as fresh installation and sync the DB from Side-A to Side-B DB right?

• •11.   W.r.t DB à Let say I have taken Backup through EDMT 10 Days back and build new ICM 9.0.3 and tested the entire setup, During this period existing UCCE – 8.5.3 will process the call and have the latest DB , so before moving to new setup to production/Cut-over I can run EDMT and restore the DB from existing 8.5.3 which has latest info, By doing so again it will insert DB in the name of lab_SideA/lab_hds to SQL-2008 can I take backup of lab_SideA and  lab_hds and updated to newlab_SideA/newlab_hds

SIVANESAN R       

SIVANESAN R
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

1. Yes, this is fine. Just make sure you go through domain manager

2. Yes, you can use the existing domain, facility, instance name, and instance number. This will save you a lot of headaches. You'll especially be screwed with your purge jobs; everytime I've done a new instance, I've had to manually change the stored procedure for the purge jobs because it's pointing to a registry key that doesnt exist.

3. See answer #2

4. I prefer common ground rather than refresh. You're better off backing up the 8.5 database, restoring it to your 9.x box, run EDMT to upgrade the DB schema, backup the newly 9.x DB, delete it, recreate the database via ICMdba, and then finally restore (overwrite) the DB with your 9.x DB that you had upgraded and backed up.

5. Use the same instance name

6. No

7. Yes, which is what I laid out in answer #4

8. Don't create a new instance or facility

9. I prefer fresh install with new IPs and hostnames. You may need something from the registry after the upgrade, but I typically do a stare and compare of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\

10. Yes - make sure you select duplex in your setup

11. Yes, it's advisable that you coordinator with others to figure out a window to shutdown the call center so that you can backup the DB that has the latest data and restore it to your new 9.x environment. Sometimes customers don't worry about a little gap in their data and allow you to do this during a time where call volume is at its lowest.

3 REPLIES
Silver

1. Yes, this is fine. Just make sure you go through domain manager

2. Yes, you can use the existing domain, facility, instance name, and instance number. This will save you a lot of headaches. You'll especially be screwed with your purge jobs; everytime I've done a new instance, I've had to manually change the stored procedure for the purge jobs because it's pointing to a registry key that doesnt exist.

3. See answer #2

4. I prefer common ground rather than refresh. You're better off backing up the 8.5 database, restoring it to your 9.x box, run EDMT to upgrade the DB schema, backup the newly 9.x DB, delete it, recreate the database via ICMdba, and then finally restore (overwrite) the DB with your 9.x DB that you had upgraded and backed up.

5. Use the same instance name

6. No

7. Yes, which is what I laid out in answer #4

8. Don't create a new instance or facility

9. I prefer fresh install with new IPs and hostnames. You may need something from the registry after the upgrade, but I typically do a stare and compare of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems, Inc.\

10. Yes - make sure you select duplex in your setup

11. Yes, it's advisable that you coordinator with others to figure out a window to shutdown the call center so that you can backup the DB that has the latest data and restore it to your new 9.x environment. Sometimes customers don't worry about a little gap in their data and allow you to do this during a time where call volume is at its lowest.

Hi Omar - Thanks for your time for responding all my queries in detail.

2.  Will it make any problem in Creating Facility Name, Instance Name and Instance number as per the exisitng one for new setup - 9.0.3 which is pointing to same Domain where 8.5.3 is also running in same Domain which is in production.

4. I prefer common ground rather than refresh. You're  better off backing up  the 8.5 database, restoring it to your 9.x box,  run EDMT to upgrade the  DB schema, backup the newly 9.x DB, delete it,  recreate the database  via ICMdba, and then finally restore (overwrite)  the DB with your 9.x DB  that you had upgraded and backed up.

According to # 4, Can i know why do you prefer to go for Common Ground rather than ReFresh through EDMT.

Lets say i am decided to go instance name for new setup as per exisitng setup Ex: lab_SideA and restired SQL DB through Tech Refresh, even do i need to create   tables through ICMDBA by doing so will it over-write the exsitng DB  whcih is inserted through EDMT.

If it's over-write then How do i defined space for both data and log.

Also i confused  with you # 11

11.  Yes, it's advisable that you coordinator with others to figure out a   window to shutdown the call center so that you can backup the DB that   has the latest data and restore it to your new 9.x environment.   Sometimes customers don't worry about a little gap in their data and   allow you to do this during a time where call volume is at its lowest.

Once  i completed the setup for both Side - A and Side - B with the DB backup  which I taken 10 days back, Is that possible to restore the same in new  setup by doing wil lit make any problem.

If possible, Can you please explain in detail.

SIVANESAN R

SIVANESAN R

SIVANESAN R
Silver

Re: UCCE Upgradation from UCCE 8.5.3 MCS - UCS - 9.0.3

2. If you want to create a new facility and instance, then you're going to have to re-create... everything. Upgrades are not meant to have a new instance, it's meant to put your contact center solution on current hardware and software and to decommission EoL products such as your MCS servers.

4. You still use EDMT. You restore the backed up 8.5 database, open EDMT, select common ground, and you can upgrade the database schema to 9 that way.

- backup 8.5 database

- restore it to 9.x server that has sql 2008 r2

- run edmt on the 9.x server

- update the database schema from 8.5 to 9.x

- back up the 9.x database

- delete it

- recreate it through ICMdba

- restore it - yes, this overwrites what's already an empty database

- right click the database > properties > files ... you can make sure your sizing is correct here. If it's not, you can correct it.

I've had way too many problems using the Tech Refresh option in EDMT. For me, it's never been straight forward. If you can make it all work with Tech Refresh, then that would be fine as well.

11. On the night of the cut, you'll want to go through the whole procedure I outlined above so that your data is current. Basically what you'll be doing in #4, you'll be doing it twice, once to setup ICM and/or Reporting software on the new hardware and once during the cut over. The contact center should be using 8.5.3 up until the cut over.

In a separate discussion, I outlined what I did for 7.x upgrade to 9.x:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2245356?tstart=100

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content