cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX 5.0 HA implementation

bimckenz
Level 1
Level 1

I will be adding an HA server to an existing UCCX 5.0 implementation. I have a few questions:

1) Do I need a totally new Cisco OS 2003 CD or can I reuse the software? (Any issues with Windows Security Identifier?)

2) Do I need to purchase the Cisco SQL 2000 CD? Would that be something that wouldn't have come in a UCCX order with the OS and UCCX software?

Order of Operation:

1) Install SQL 2000 on existing production server

2) Install OS and UCCX on new Server

3) Install SQL 2000 on HA server

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.

6 Replies 6

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

bimckenz wrote:

I will be adding an HA server to an existing UCCX 5.0 implementation. I have a few questions:

1) Do I need a totally new Cisco OS 2003 CD or can I reuse the software? (Any issues with Windows Security Identifier?)

Well, the OS 2003 CD is a OEM license for Windows software.  The platform install must recognize the Cisco MCS hardware to load (though it will load in vmware and will require activation if you do this).  If you are asking does the Cisco OS 2003 DVD give you a license that you can load on any server you please, then the answer is: no.  If you are asking if you can use the same media and it will work.  I believe so, just have the licenses in case you are audited.

bimckenz wrote:

2) Do I need to purchase the Cisco SQL 2000 CD? Would that be something that wouldn't have come in a UCCX order with the OS and UCCX software?

When you order the UCCX server with High Availability, it comes with MS SQL 2000.  Part of the reason that HA has an additional cost is due to the fact that Cisco needs to pay Microsoft for the SQL server license.  So, yes you need to make a purchase.  NOTE:  You also need a special license from Cisco to enable High Availability (HA).  You can upgrade your existing license and work with your Cisco or partner account team to get the right software/pricing.

bimckenz wrote:

Order of Operation:

1) Install SQL 2000 on existing production server

2) Install OS and UCCX on new Server

3) Install SQL 2000 on HA server

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.

At a high level, that sounds correct.  See the installation guide and this link to fine tune your process:

http://tools.cisco.com/search/display?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cisco.com%2Fen%2FUS%2Fdocs%2Fvoice_ip_comm%2Fcust_contact%2Fcontact_center%2Fcrs%2Fexpress_7_0%2Fresources_card%2Fguide%2Fuccx70sqlrescrd.pdf

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Bill, Thank you for the detailed and quick response. I appreciate it.

1) I was just asking if you could reuse the same media. Thanks for the reply.

2) The server wasn't ordered originally with High Availability. This server was set up as a single node UCCX server and has been in production for a couple of years. They had another MCS server that was just lying around. Now, they want to make this a UCCX HA environment using the unused server. They just purchased the HA license but don't have OS or UCCX software that was ordered specifically for the unused server.

So it sounds like they will need to order the Cisco SQL Server 2000 software.

What do I need to do to convert the single node server that is already in production to be the first node in the new HA setup?

Thanks,
Bill

You can technically use the same media, as the product key used for MCS servers is the same no matter what disc you are using.  Like Bill said, audit can bite you in the butt.

You don't have to do anything to the first node to have it accept the second node.  i.e., switch the deployment type from single node to first node.

I found an unopened Windows 2003 OS for UCCX. Do the current and HA server have to be the exact same Windows 2003 version?

One version is OS 2003.1.5a and the one I can use would be OS 2003.1.2.

Just wondering if there would be any issues with doing that.

Thanks,
Bill

Are you using documentation to help you do this install?

You would want the same software on both server, yes.

The important part is that you have the same version of the application, but the OS upgrade also includes patches for SQL. If you apply different levels of OS patching, you'll probably end up with slight differences in the SQL version, and it won't add the secondary node to the cluster.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: