Replies

UCCX 7 to 8 with HA server IP change upgrade question

davidkcampbell
Level 1
Level 1

Current system:

UCCX 7.0.1 SR5 HA

Upgrade destination:

UCCX 8.0(2) SU4 with node 2 server being moved to new data center and new IP scheme

Question:

I know it will be better to remove the HA server (node 2) and rebuild with the new IP while running the install. That way I can define it as HA as WAN rather than LAN. My question is, is it as simple as removing the server from the System/Server area of appadmin, or is there some CLI and/or CET commands that need to be done as well?I tried looking in the various guides and scouring previous posts on the forum, but nothing seemed to address this exact scenario in the detail I am curious about.

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

brian1mcc
Level 4
Level 4

I've not seen any documentation on this exact scenario, but this is how I would approach it.

Upgrade the current cluster in the existing LAN setup, but when installing UCCX 8, choose the HAoWAN mode.

Then, once the upgrade is complete, and both servers are in full service on the LAN, follow the existing documentation on changing the ip address of the subscriber.

My understanding is that choosing the HAoWAN mode only increases the heartbeat timeouts between the uccx nodes.

Info on changing the ip address can be found in the uccx 8.0(1) admin guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_8_0/configuration/guide/uccx801ag.pdf

pg 11-10

Brian

In addition to excellent but simple plan given by Brian, please ensure that your present server model is supported for UCCX 8. As the operating system undergoes change from Windows to Linux while migrating from 7.x to 8.x, many customers perfer to go with new server hardware while going over to UCCX 8.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_compatibility/matrix/crscomtx.pdf

Pls rate the post if it helps.

GP.

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Michael,

When you perform the UCCX HA  7.0(1)_SR5 to 8.5, the restore is happening on the first node of the UCCX 8.5 system, than you bring your UCCX second node from a new location (LAN or WAN) and than need to perform the add to cluster operation on UCCX 8.5 system to make it as UCCX HA setup.

Note: Please rerun the CAD client configuration tool after UCCX 8.5 HA setup is done.

Also run the PostInstall.exe on all the CAD\CSD\CDA client boxes if the ip address of the UCCX nodes are changing.

Make sure your wallboard is also pointing to the new ip address...etc.

Hope this helps.

Anand

Pls rate helpful posts !!

Thanks Anand.

I'd like to confirm the scenario below:

Upgrade HA UCCX 7.01 to 8.5 in the current datacenter then move the second node to another location. This will need to change the IP on the second node.

I will use the approach from Brian's post:

Upgrade the current cluster in the existing LAN setup, but when installing UCCX 8, choose the HAoWAN mode.

Then, once the upgrade is complete, and both servers are in full service on the LAN, follow the existing documentation on changing the ip address of the subscriber.

As I read another post saying the cluster can not be formed after changing the IP on the second node and they work woth TAC over 8 hours to solve the issue, I'd like to make sure this won't happen to us.

Michael

Hi Michael,

When you perform the upgrade from UCCX 7.x HA setup to UCCX 8.5, the restore will happen only on the First node of UCCX 8.5 setup, till this time you don't need the UCCX second Node of UCCX 8.5. This is how this upgrade is designed.

Once the Restore is completed successfully on UCCX 8.5 first node, than install the second node over WAN, and you have to perfrom the add to cluster operation one more time in UCCX 8.5 setup by opting the over WAN option.

Hope it answers your query.

Anand

Pls rate helpful posts !!

Thanks Anand.

Both UCCX 7 servers are in the same subnet now. The second node will be moved to a data center in another city after upgraded to ver 8.5. We want to upgrade boht servers using the current IP then change the IP of second note and send it to another city. So my concern is if changing IP on the second node will cause any issues?

Hi Michel,

As said above, you as part of the upgrade process the UCCX 8.5 restore will happen only on the First node of UCCX, you can bring your UCCX 8.5 second node from your new location by installing the UCCX 8.5 version freshly with the new ip address , and perform the add to cluster operation on UCCX 8.5 to make it as a UCCX 8.5 HA setup.

Hope its clear now.

Anand

Please rate all the helpful posts !!

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

Hi David,

I am dealing with the exact same scenario: upgrade HA UCCX 7.01 to 8.5 then move the node 2 to another location.

Have you done the upgrade using the approach here? Did you see any issues?

Thanks.

Michael

A couple things leap to mind for me. Does the new IP scheme for the 2nd UCCX node already exist? If not, create that IP network within your existing infrastructure and biuld the second server on its final IP. Then move the server and that IP network elsewhere when you are ready to move.

When you run the PUT tool to export the UCCX 7.X configuration, the 8.x install from PUT expects your call managers to be running 8.x software at that point. When I have done this for customers, it has always been while replacing hardware. Assuming you don't have to flash cut to the new environment with no loss of CDR/UCCX reports, you can build the new servers in a disconnected network with the same IP addresses. You can't change IP address of the CCM in the PUT backup during the installation. VMware is great for this because you can build separate virtual networks where only the offline servers exist. You can build a VM that has SFTP (I use CYGWIN) on it that is on the same IP network as the existing CCM/UCCX. You run a backup to that migration VM. Then you move the migration VM and the freshly created OVA template VM's to the disconnected network. You restore from that VM and then upgrade to the target software version. Then you have a CCM that the upgrade of UCCX can talk to. Prior to kicking off the PUT install of the 8.X UCCX, make sure you change the CCM serrvice parameter for Maximum AXL Writes Allowed per Minute to 999 from 50 in

database layer monitor advanced service parameters. Otherwise your put install when it creates CTI ports and route points will be REALLY SLOW! Don't forget to put that back after the install completes.