Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

UCCX 8.5 Informix/SQL Server linked server question

We have several custom (in-house) queries that were written against a UCCX 7.x installation (SQL Server). These queries were written using a variety of t-sql functions (DATEADD, DATEPART, GETDATE etc). When we migrate to UCCX8.5 (Informix) I'm assuming we will need to translate those t-sql functions to their equivalent Informix functions...is that a correct understanding?  Has anyone else faced a similar situation?  Any gotchas to share?

Also would be interested to hear from anyone who defined a linked server in SQL Server to the new Informix database server....how did it go, any gotchas there?

Thanks!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Re: UCCX 8.5 Informix/SQL Server linked server question

Hi

That's pretty much it - there are equivalent functions for most things, and the syntax (beyond the basic selects) is quiet different and there are some random restrictions on the structure of queries that I don't think applied in MS SQL. A good way to learn is:

- Comparing the MSSQL and Informix equivalents of the standard UCCX procedures

- The IBM 'boulder' website tends to show up on most searches on google for informix commands and has lots of info on syntax etc.

I find Informix more difficult than SQL as it's less forgiving and you don't get decent tools to debug/verify syntax etc without paying out some money..

I've never had a need to do a linked server.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi,

... or, you can just copy data from Informix tables into a MS SQL server and use the familiar T-SQL syntax. This approach is recommended by Cisco AFAIK.

G.

4 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Hi

That's pretty much it - there are equivalent functions for most things, and the syntax (beyond the basic selects) is quiet different and there are some random restrictions on the structure of queries that I don't think applied in MS SQL. A good way to learn is:

- Comparing the MSSQL and Informix equivalents of the standard UCCX procedures

- The IBM 'boulder' website tends to show up on most searches on google for informix commands and has lots of info on syntax etc.

I find Informix more difficult than SQL as it's less forgiving and you don't get decent tools to debug/verify syntax etc without paying out some money..

I've never had a need to do a linked server.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi,

... or, you can just copy data from Informix tables into a MS SQL server and use the familiar T-SQL syntax. This approach is recommended by Cisco AFAIK.

G.

Thanks for your reply/suggestion. A quick follow-up question...I'm assuming it's up to us to provide the data export/import processes to populate a SQL Server DW from the Informix dbserver (i.e. there isn't a pre-built process provided by Cisco is there)? I would probably use SSIS but don't want to re-invent the wheel if it's already available :-)

Thanks again!

Chris.

Hi,

no, there's no built-in process for pushing data out of UCCX I am aware of. SSIS would be fine.

Creating an ODBC datasource to Informix is easy (found a couple of examples and step-by-step guides using Google), and once you got that ODBC datasource registered and functional, you can do (almost) anything. Like, for instance, a scheduled job.

To be quite honest with you, I never tried that (I do UCCE reporting, but not UCCX), but right now I am downloading the Informix Client SDK from the IBM developer website just to give it a try with our lab UCCX server. db_cra, here I come!

G.

Views
Helpful
Replies