Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX 8 and CTI ports in UCM

paa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I try to configure UCCX.

First of all, how many CTI port shoul I setup in Call Controll Group? Is it anought to setup one CTI port for all 10 agents?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

The system works like this:

1) Call hits a 'CTI route point', which is shown as a 'trigger' in UCCX. Think of that as a pilot number.

2) Before UCCX can do anything, it sends the call from CTI Route Point to a CTI Port.

3) On the CTI Port, the call is answered, and the scripts you define run. The call will stay on the CTI port until it is transferred out of the system OR to an agent, or the call ends.

4) When the call goes to an agent, the CTI port is no longer used.

So - typically you would have at least as many ports as agents. What the number of ports affects is the number of simultaneous calls that the system can have queueing or being prompted or held at once. How many you need depends on a lot of factors...

- If your agents take long calls, calls may come in several at once and queue for a long time

- If they have low staff periods (i.e. the big team lunch in the pub every day) calls will probably queue a lot

- If you have a lot of agents, and short call and queue times, you may not have a lot of calls queueing generally

- if you have a complex menu system or a lot of prompts before callers get to an agent, your CTI ports will be used for a  longer time, and are therefore subject to more congestion

Generally you license the sytem per agent, and try to over provision the ports as it's difficult to predict what is needed. Consider the number of agents you have, and the number of possible inbound calls (i.e. number of inbound channels on the PSTN circuits used for the Contact Centre numbers), and the capabilities of whatever system you are replacing.

If you have 10 agents and a single PRI, and your license lets you add 20 or 30 ports, I would do it.

Sometimes customers get new licenses and add more agents, but they will never remember to set up more CTI ports... if they have more to start with, that's not problem.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The system uses CTI ports to serve calls as they arrive at the UCCX server, and the number you configure corresponds to the number of calls the system can handle at a time. For example, if you configure a single CTI port and a single CMT channel, the system can handle one call at a time.

So, for 10 agents I should configure CTI with prefix lenght 10 (and in UCM I'll see 10 CTI ports and 10 numbers). Is it right? Can I configure to not display CTI port number on a client phone? Client should see only CCX application number.

Hi

The system works like this:

1) Call hits a 'CTI route point', which is shown as a 'trigger' in UCCX. Think of that as a pilot number.

2) Before UCCX can do anything, it sends the call from CTI Route Point to a CTI Port.

3) On the CTI Port, the call is answered, and the scripts you define run. The call will stay on the CTI port until it is transferred out of the system OR to an agent, or the call ends.

4) When the call goes to an agent, the CTI port is no longer used.

So - typically you would have at least as many ports as agents. What the number of ports affects is the number of simultaneous calls that the system can have queueing or being prompted or held at once. How many you need depends on a lot of factors...

- If your agents take long calls, calls may come in several at once and queue for a long time

- If they have low staff periods (i.e. the big team lunch in the pub every day) calls will probably queue a lot

- If you have a lot of agents, and short call and queue times, you may not have a lot of calls queueing generally

- if you have a complex menu system or a lot of prompts before callers get to an agent, your CTI ports will be used for a  longer time, and are therefore subject to more congestion

Generally you license the sytem per agent, and try to over provision the ports as it's difficult to predict what is needed. Consider the number of agents you have, and the number of possible inbound calls (i.e. number of inbound channels on the PSTN circuits used for the Contact Centre numbers), and the capabilities of whatever system you are replacing.

If you have 10 agents and a single PRI, and your license lets you add 20 or 30 ports, I would do it.

Sometimes customers get new licenses and add more agents, but they will never remember to set up more CTI ports... if they have more to start with, that's not problem.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

What about IVR port licenses usage when call goes to agent? Is the IVR ports no longer used in this case?

Hi Mikhail

That is correct - once the call transfers off system or to an agent, the port is freed up.

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: