cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX Menu - How do I set the filter to ignore keys

joshua.gertig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, this is probably simple but I can't seem to figure out how to make a menu accept one option/key, but ignore all others. I have a menu, which play a prompt. Callers should be able to press 1 to repeat the prompt, but I'd like all other keypad numbers to be ignored. Currently, the option 1 works just fine, but if the caller press any other key, it goes to the end of the script. I'd like any key other then 1 to be ignored. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

*attached is the script. The menu in question has the label BODMessageMenu. Opt 1 off the menu works fine. I haven't definied any other filters, just opt 1. If a caller presses 2, 3, 4 etc, it goes to the GoodbyeMenu (which also happens to be the next step). It seems like if there were an "ingore key" step, I could just definine the rest of the filter with the ignore step, but I can't find one.

8 Replies 8

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Working from memory here - but basically if somone fails to press any key, it goes to 'timeout'.

If the caller selects a key that corresponds to a defined filter or 'branch' then it goes to that branch.

If they do anything else then it goes to the 'unsuccesful' branch.

What you need to do is define the options you want, and then in the unsuccesful branch insert a 'try again' prompt, and a 'goto' that sends to a label before the 'menu' step. You should probably also insert a loop break where if this happens three times the loop is exited and the call terminated.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron. I can definitely set the filter to make all other keys go to a prompt that says "Try again", and then have that send them back to the menu or terminate or whatever. But I'd very much prefer that any other key do nothing at all.

The reason is is that the prompt on this menu could be very, very long... upwards of half an hour. It is meant to provide emergency info to staff. So the concern is that if someone is listening to this very long prompt, and accidentally presses 2, 3, 4 etc, we don't want them to have to listen to the whole thing all over again. This is why we'd prefer to have all other keys other then 1 be ignored.

Hi

OK - can you describe the scenario a little more? How many options does someone need to pick from?

Maybe step things through, so if someone picks an 'ignore'-able option, give no feedback, but feed back to the menu via a 'goto'

When you want to start playing your 'one hour' prompt, go to an explicit confirmation step that plays the hour prompt. That way you can say 'press 1 to end stop this information'. That step just accepts 1 or 2 (I think) so you would have to test it to see what happens if your caller randomly stabs buttons, hopefully it will ignore them but it's not a step I use regularly!

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Joshua,

The menu option will always react to a key press even if there is only one valid menu option.  If you don't want a caller to interrupt the message with a key press, you could disable barge in on the menu prompt.  I know it's probably not the answer you are looking for.

Thanks Aaron,

What we are trying to do is... once the user calls into this script, we play a prompt that says "thanks for calling, your emergency instructions will begin now. At any time during this message, you may press 1 to repeat the message from the begining". Then the next step in the script is the menu, that plays the one hour message (prompt).

As mentioned, when a caller presses 1, it works fine, but pressing any other key goes to the next step in the script, which happens to be the final "thanks for calling, goodbye" prompt.

I tried to put in the explicit confirmation step, and it works pretty much the same. Pressing 1 works fine. Pressing 2 is a little different, we hear a system message "Please try again".... "Are  you there"... then it goes the final "thanks for calling, goodbye" prompt. Pressing any other key behaves the same as the normal menu does, it goes to the final "thanks for calling, goodbye" prompt rather then ignore the key.

Villarrealed, thanks for your reply. If this is correct, then it sounds like there's not much I can do about it. I may just remove the menu step all together and use only a play prompt step with no barge (this is actually how the script was initially, but managment wanted to see if we could put in the press 1 option).

Thanks again!

-Josh

Hi Josh

The key thing to remember if that the script goes to the 'thanks fo rcalling, goodbye' prompt it's because you sent it there. It just goes to the next step.

If you want to play a prompt and give someone the option of pressing 1 to exist the prompt...

Why not just give play a prompt ('play prompt' step) and (instead of 'press one') suggest them the option to 'press any button'?

That way when they hit a key, and thereby quit the prompt... the script goes to the next step that may be a menu, loop or whatever you want?

Sometimes it's easier to change your wording to suit the system rather than try to make the system do something that's not the default behaviour..

Aaron

"Press any button to..."

instead of

"Press 1 to..."

lol... I can't believe I didn't think of that!

That's what I'm going to do, and just hope I don't get a ticket Monday morning from a user complaining that "My phone doesn't have an any button".

Thank you both for your help!

Hi Joshua,

I am thinking of an opton where you use "if CED=1# execute the required steps, else play an error message and retry (n times before dropping the call)".

Please let me know if it works out to your requirement.

Thanks,

Anand

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: