cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX OS Updates

tim.moomaw
Level 1
Level 1

I will be applying numerous Microsoft Security Updates this evening to our UCCX (7.01 SR5) HA environment.  I already have reviewed a previous forum discussion about applying MS Updates : https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13458#comment-5127 and it looks as a general rule of thumb all security updates can be applied via Windows Updates.

My question is - is there any particuliar path one should take when applying these updates such as applying to the standby node first, reboot, fail services over to the newly upgraded node, then update the primary node?  Are there any MS updates that are known to have caused issues?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That document is for Enterprise not Express.  You can only install Cisco provided fixes on the UCCX server.

With that said, you could upgrade your servers in any order you like.  Because the failover process is service impacting, you have to do it in a maintenance window anyway.

There was one KB article that was failing to update the SQL version, but it's escaping me at the moment.  It has something to do with version 2822 i believe.  Unfortunately I don't have access to a 7x box anymore.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That document is for Enterprise not Express.  You can only install Cisco provided fixes on the UCCX server.

With that said, you could upgrade your servers in any order you like.  Because the failover process is service impacting, you have to do it in a maintenance window anyway.

There was one KB article that was failing to update the SQL version, but it's escaping me at the moment.  It has something to do with version 2822 i believe.  Unfortunately I don't have access to a 7x box anymore.

Hi

Anthony might be referring to this defect "CSCta89444    SQL server replication issue after applying OS patch"

In case after applying the cisco approved Os patches if the replication fails follow the work around as stated below

========

Symptom:

SQL server replication issue after applying OS Patch. OS Patch with Hotfix

2282 for SQL server 2000 ENU (KB960083) is applied on the HA systems

Workaround:

Step 1: Uninstall Hotfix from Control Center->Add/ Remove Programs -> "Hotfix 2282 for SQL server 2000 ENU (KB960083)"

Step 2: Reboot the system.

Step 3: Re-apply the MCS-OS SR installer "win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2003-1-4a-sr8.exe" (or higher) again

Step 4: Update the DB Version in ClusterDependentConfig to "8.00.2282"

Step 5: Reboot the systems

=======

Hope this helps

Anuj

Yes, that is the one, thank you so much for looking that up.

I do appreciate the responses on how to update UCCX - it saved my butt that night.  I'm slowly getting up to par on how to update each Cisco application (ucm, unity, and uccx...).  Cisco actually advised me to update to 2003.1.5a from 1.4a. and then apply the SR12 release.  Thank you all...

Hi Tim,

Today I am in same boat as you were on last year.  I am running uccx 7.0(1)SR5 on 7845-H2-CCX2. I am planning to update UCCX os from 2003.1.4a to 2003.1.5a SR18. Could you please let me guide of your experience of doing this upgrade.

1. Was everything fine after update or did you loose any configuration or scripts?

2. Any issues after upgrade?

3. Impact on client apps...CAD,CSD and WIM.

4. Any Impact on Web Interaction Manager?

5. Do i need to follow any specific instructions?

Thank you very much in advance and waiting for reply.

Hi Surender

OS updates are just that - updates to the OS, not the application. There should be no change to the applications at all.

Be aware that you will probably need 2-3 restarts during the upgrade process, so it will cause some outage if you are not using a HA pair. If you are, calls will be dropped etc when the system is failing over as usual.

Regard

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thank you so much Aaron and Tim. I "ll run this upgrade in week or two. I "ll update this thread with the outcome.

Hello Surender,

Yes like Aaron mentioned the updates are OS related and a few driver updates if I remember correctly (nothing CAD, CSD related...).  Everything was fine after the plethora of updates.  You will want to upgrade to the 2003.1.5a base release first then apply the SR18 update package. 

One thing I did have to correct after the updates was the bug that Anuj references above in this thread which corrects the DB version. 

The updates are pretty straightforward and like Aaron mentioned there are a few reboots that take place.

HTH

Thank you so much Aaron and Tim. I "ll run this upgrade in week or two. I "ll update this thread with the outcome.

Thanks Guys,

I upgraded both UCCX and HA successfully from os 2003.1.4 to 2003.1.5a and then applied patch SR21. There were no issues at all.

Good to hear!

Please remember to rate useful responses...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi,

Could you advise from where did you download the OS 2003.1.5 and it's SR. I couldn't find the location in Cisco Download pages!!

Regards,

Hi Mustapha

They're in the download section for CUCM 4.3.... that runs the same 2003 OS.

Regards

Aaron

Got it, thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: