cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX Script editor - Variables and labels cannot be named "Startxxxxx".

WilliamEWelch
Level 1
Level 1

UCCX 8.5.1.10000-37

UCCX Editor v 8.5(1.0)

"Start" appears at the top of every UCCX script and seems to be a reserved word. In fact it is a reserved prefix too.

Variables and labels starting with the letters "Start" become locked and undeletable.

Example: "Set StartNow = 0" or "label: StartHere". Add these and then try to edit or delete them - you can't!

Even the Edit>Undo won't work. For example, add "Set XXX=0", then edit it to be "Set StartXXX=0", then do an Edit>Undo. Now the script contains both "Set XXX=0" resulting from the Undo and also "Set StartXXX=0" which the Undo was unable to remove.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UCCX 8.5.1.11002-22 here with Editor 8.5(1.0).  I just created a new script like this:

Variables

String Start = ""

String StartThis = ""

Script

Start

Set Start = "End"

Set StartThis = "Hello"

End

It validated, it ran, and I was able to delete both steps.

Could it be your specific installation of the editor?  Have you tried on a co worker's PC?

EDIT: I just re-read your post and see that labels are affected also.  So I created a Label and called it "StartHere" and then tried to delete it, and I could not delete it.  I have confirmed that there is an issue with the Start keyword on some steps.  How many to be exact, and which keywords?  I have no idea.  You will be best served by Cisco TAC at this point.  Thanks for bringing this up, and good find!

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

View solution in original post

Hi Bill,

What is your TAC case number? I can try to fast track it for you.

The issue where steps beginning with 'Start' is CSCuc82944 found in 9.0(1) so it affects 8.5(1) and fixed in 9.0(2). It was found because one of our own steps 'Start Monitoring' couldn't be moved or deleted, but reading the fix it affects everything beginning with Start. I just tested in the 9.0(2) Editor and was able to delete Set steps and Labels that start with 'Start'.

Testing #2, the whitespace in the label, this is still an issue and I am looking into it now. Once I figure it out, I'll edit or repost.

Testing #4, this also doesn't happen in the 9.0(2) Editor with the fix for CSCuc82944.

HTH.

-Ryan

Hi Bill,

Robert sits a few rows away from me. I gave him the defect I noted in my last post.

I've also filed CSCui40780 for the whitespace in the label names. This won't be visible immediately but we'll see if the BU can pick it up.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Ryan

6 Replies 6

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UCCX 8.5.1.11002-22 here with Editor 8.5(1.0).  I just created a new script like this:

Variables

String Start = ""

String StartThis = ""

Script

Start

Set Start = "End"

Set StartThis = "Hello"

End

It validated, it ran, and I was able to delete both steps.

Could it be your specific installation of the editor?  Have you tried on a co worker's PC?

EDIT: I just re-read your post and see that labels are affected also.  So I created a Label and called it "StartHere" and then tried to delete it, and I could not delete it.  I have confirmed that there is an issue with the Start keyword on some steps.  How many to be exact, and which keywords?  I have no idea.  You will be best served by Cisco TAC at this point.  Thanks for bringing this up, and good find!

Anthony Holloway

Anthony,

Thanks for the confirmation. I also added a case with TAC and will be WebEx'g at 3 today to show them the problem.

Until I realized what was going on, I thought I had tanked one of my script apps or hit some kind of limit in the editor.

Bill

Hi Bill,

What is your TAC case number? I can try to fast track it for you.

The issue where steps beginning with 'Start' is CSCuc82944 found in 9.0(1) so it affects 8.5(1) and fixed in 9.0(2). It was found because one of our own steps 'Start Monitoring' couldn't be moved or deleted, but reading the fix it affects everything beginning with Start. I just tested in the 9.0(2) Editor and was able to delete Set steps and Labels that start with 'Start'.

Testing #2, the whitespace in the label, this is still an issue and I am looking into it now. Once I figure it out, I'll edit or repost.

Testing #4, this also doesn't happen in the 9.0(2) Editor with the fix for CSCuc82944.

HTH.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan!  Your input is greatly appreciated.

Anthony Holloway

Cisco TAC duplicated the problem and has reported it as a defect. The case number was SR 626822637.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Robert sits a few rows away from me. I gave him the defect I noted in my last post.

I've also filed CSCui40780 for the whitespace in the label names. This won't be visible immediately but we'll see if the BU can pick it up.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: