Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Upgrade License on UCCX 8.0 with "Fresh Install" setup

regi_firnanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My situation right now is that I want to install UCCX 8.0 (on a VM environment) and I don't have any previous UCCX version deployed, but the licenses I have are :

- an Upgrade License from ver.5 to ver.8

- a PAK and SW kit license (also contains the seats licenses) for UCCX version 5.

Because I don't have any previous UCCX version deployed, I installed UCCX 8.0 and chose "Fresh Install". When I upload the upgrade license, the server returned a warning that said "The license for Cisco Unified CCX Premium Seat ESW or UCSS Upgrade is not a valid addition for the package None and therefore it will be ignored" and "The license for Cisco Unified CCX Premium ESW or UCSS Upgrade is not a valid addition for the package None and therefore it will be ignored".

My questions are :

- Can I use the licenses I have on a fresh installation of UCCX 8.0 ( the upgrade license and the ver.5 license) ? Because I've tried similar scenarios with the licenses on Unity Connection and it worked. I'm wondering if it's not possible with UCCX 8.0 and that's what caused the error.

- If the answer for the "Fresh Install" path is No, does it mean I have to use the "Upgrade" path -what I'm trying to avoid if I can- meaning that I have to install ver.5 first and then upgrade it to ver.8 using PUT( ? Because on the initial setup If I choose "Ugrade from previous version" it will ask where the data from the previous version are located and right now I don't have any.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Regi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What your doing isn't going to work when you upload it into UCCX 8.0 it will just read it as a version 5 package and fail.

The upgrade license is for situation where customers are doing an upgrade and run the Product upgrade too/DMT as the upgrade license is checked against the running license and embedded into the tar/backup file.

your only option is to build a version 5.x and run the migration tool.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Regardless of selecting fresh install or upgrade option, have you uploaded your v5 licenses before the upgrade license?

Generally the upgrade licenses are not valid without the v5 licenses being on the system - the v5 ones contain what seat count/features etc you are licensed for, and the upgrade simply enables those to be used with the new version.

I haven't done a licensed 8.0 upgrade yet, but this is how it worked previously for this (and other) products.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have also tried to upload the ver.5 license to the UCCX 8.0 server and it also gave me similar warning/error message. Any more ideas ?

Best Regards,

Regi

What your doing isn't going to work when you upload it into UCCX 8.0 it will just read it as a version 5 package and fail.

The upgrade license is for situation where customers are doing an upgrade and run the Product upgrade too/DMT as the upgrade license is checked against the running license and embedded into the tar/backup file.

your only option is to build a version 5.x and run the migration tool.

Hoai Huynh - good correction to my earlier stab-in-the-dark post (+5).

Just as an extra to that, you would presumably have the option of allowing the upgrade tool to migrate your data, then simply deleting all the applications etc and setting the historical data purge to an aggressive level...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for the answer Hoai Huynh (and Aaron for adding the info).

Just what I was worrying about, I need to build a ver.5 first. I would appreciate it if you can answer a few last questions if you don't mind :

So, I need to install UCCX v.5 and also CM v.5 (because my CM v.8 is not supported by UCCX v.5).

1. Can the UCCX ver.5 data from the migration tool (PUT) be used on the UCCX v.8 that is integrated with different CM server (different IP address, different credentials, etc) ? Because the steps in the UCCX v.8 upgrade guide are describing a scenario where the CM is the same server and is being upgraded at the same time with UCCX.
  2. Related to no.1 question, Is there anything I should be aware of when setting up the UCCX ver.5 and CM ver.5 ? For example : need to have same IP addresses with the version8 servers, same AXL / application user name and password, etc.
  3. At exactly what point of configuration on UCCX v.5 can I use the PUT to migrate data from the ver.5 (the guide only mentioned to make sure that the server is up and running)? Can I do it right away after the first initial setup ? Or do I need to configure a working application to get all the subsystems in "full-service" first ?

Thanks again.

Regi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: