Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Variable Truncation

Good Afternoon,

I just wanted to pose a scenario to see if anyone else has run into this or not. We have some intermittent cases where we are seeing variable truncation occur on CAD, for example with the caller entering a telephone number in the IVR portion of scripts. The Get Digit String step shows it is requiring 10 digits for input length, using digits [0-9]. Terminating Digit and Cancel Digit are set to None.

Yet we have seen times where the Phone number comes through with only 2 digits, or 4-5 digits. I have never been able to reproduce this behavior myself by making test calls or even in a test script setup. I have seen ECC Variable Truncation errors from RTMT in the application syslogs. Unfortunately it doesn't tell me much in regards to troubleshooting, and a TAC case we had opened for it wasn't helpful either as we could never reproduce it during calls with them. We did have logs collected and TAC thought it may have been a Nuance(TTS/ASR) issue, but in the script/application in question ASR isn't even active. A separate ticket with Nuance also confirmed no issues on their side.

We have seen evidence of this happening in several different scripts for different departments, but is very intermittent.(A handful of calls out of 1000)

Anyone else had similar issues before or know what can cause this?  -- UCCX 8.5 SU2  (w/ CM 8.5)

Thanks,

Kevin

5 REPLIES

Re: Variable Truncation

It's not clear to me what data is being truncated.  It sounds like it's ANI or Enterprise Data, or both.  Which is it?

Also, there is/was an issue with ASR on the Get Digit String step, that if you "Timeout" the step with ASR, you do not get the digits entered, but if you ran the same script without ASR you would get the digits entered.

EDIT: looks like the defect has since been fixed from when I originally reported it back on UCCX 5x.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsx18119

E.g., Your Get Digit String is set to collect 10 digits, and the caller only enters 8.  With ASR you do not receive those 8 digits, but without ASR you do.

To clarify a point about what it means to have ASR enable or not, is simply whether or not the ASR Cisco Media group is associated to your trigger.  Not whether or not the caller actually spoke the digits.

If you have some data to share with us, that would be helpful.  CDR, CUCM traces, MIVR traces, screenshots, etc.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Anthony Holloway

Well, the error found in syslog files states ECC Variable Truncation as the error message. I don't think it is related to the get digit string step issue, but thought i'd mention it. I'll give an example of the error at the bottom of this post.

So with the Get Digit String step, the trigger/application associated with the script does not have our ASR media group selected. The Get Digit String step does not recognize any spoken words/numbers in these scripts. This is working as intended, unless my understanding of the media groups being selected or not is incorrect. (e.g. asr disabled for that trigger/application means speaking during a get digit string step is not recognized at all - only DTMF works)

With that said, maybe my understanding of the step itself is wrong --- If I am storing the results of Get Digit String step into a variable called StrPhone. My input length is set to 10 digits. However the user only enters 5 digits and then waits for the time out. Does the variable StrPhone contain the 5 digits they entered even though the successful branch of the step was never executed due to timeouts instead?

If that's the case, then that would explain how a 5 digit string can be saved to a 10 digit length field.

Back to the ECC Variable Truncation --- which i don't think is related, or at least i have no reason to believe it is...since the Phone number being stored isn't using an ECC variable and i dont see it listed in any of the errors.

Example from syslog for the variable truncation....

Sep 05 2013 08:01:41.167 UTC : %UC_ICD_CTI-3-ECC_VARIABLE_TRUNCATION: %[one or more ECC variable values were truncated=user.StrList][one or more ECC variable names were truncated=][UNKNOWN_PARAMNAME:one or more ECC variables were o=][ClusterID=][NodeID=VM-UCCX]: Some of the ECC variable information did not fit into the message. One or more variable names may have been truncated, and one or more variables may have been omitted from the message, 109

I think i answered my own question about the Get Digit String step. Did some more testing just now, and if you only enter a few digits and let the timeout branch execute it still stores the digits you entered even though they didn't meet the required length

I can either clear the variable upon timeout or unsuccessful branch execution or just accept that this is working as intended. Makes more sense to me now.

Still wondering about the ECC Variable Truncation -- wondering if there is something i need to look at in terms of the ecc variables in desktop administrator. I don't remember seeing any settings for length or type so not sure what would cause truncation.

kevinigvr wrote:

I think i answered my own question about the Get Digit String step. Did some more testing just now, and...

Awesome!  That's a great way to learn.

kevinigvr wrote:

...if you only enter a few digits and let the timeout branch execute it still stores the digits you entered even though they didn't meet the required length...

Correct.  And in that defect I mentioned, it did not work this way for script which used an ASR media group.

Anthony Holloway

Anthony Holloway

kevinigvr wrote:

Does the variable StrPhone contain the 5 digits they entered even though the successful branch of the step was never executed due to timeouts instead?

Correct.  You will need to handle the scenario when less than 10 digits are entered by placing script logic into the Timeout branch to handle it.

kevinigvr wrote:

Sep 05 2013 08:01:41.167 UTC : %UC_ICD_CTI-3-ECC_VARIABLE_TRUNCATION: %[one or more ECC variable values were truncated=user.StrList][one or more ECC variable names were truncated=][UNKNOWN_PARAMNAME:one or more ECC variables were o=][ClusterID=][NodeID=VM-UCCX]: Some of the ECC variable information did not fit into the message. One or more variable names may have been truncated, and one or more variables may have been omitted from the message, 109

I have not seen this error message before, and the only identifying piece of information in it is "user.StrList".  Is that something being used in a Set Enterprise Info Step perhaps?

Anthony Holloway

Anthony Holloway

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content