Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What to upgrade first when upgrading CUCM 5 with CRS 5 to CUCM 7 & UCCX 7 ?

Hi all,

I'm currently considering of upgrading a CUCM cluster running on 5.1.3 to version 7.1.3b.

The thing it that I also have CRS running on version 5. I think i will have to upgrade it to UCCX7 since CRS 5 is not supported by CUCM 7.1(3b).

I would like to be sure of the order i should go with the upgrade process ?

Is it CRS 5 to UCCX 7 first and then CUCM upgrade ?

Or CUCM upgrade first and then UCCX ?

Thanks

Note : I did read that CRS 5 is supported by CUCM 6 but I don't want to do a 2 step CUCM upgrade but only a direct upgrade from CUCM 5 to 7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Super Bronze

Re: What to upgrade first when upgrading CUCM 5 with CRS 5 to CU

I found that an direct upgrade from 5.1.3 to 7.1(3b) SU2 was not 
possible so I will first proceed to 7.1.3b and will consider later to 
upgrade to SU2.

You will want to be on SU2; lots of bug fixes. This means you will need to upgrade twice.

1) Restart the publisher with new version (IP phones will attach to subscriber server?)

2) Wait for the subscribers databases to be updated (IP Phones will fallback to publisher with new version ? How?)

3) Restart backup subscriber

4) Restart primary subscriber after backup is back online

What server is defined as the primary in the CM Server Group currently? It should not be your publisher in normal circumstances. In a three-node UCM cluster the phones should be balanced between the two subscriber nodes using the publisher as backup; or, one subscriber is the primary and the other subscriber is the backup with the publisher being used for TFTP and database only (i.e. not in the server group listing). The upgrade would go like this:

1. Install the 8.5(2) COP on your existing 5.1(3) cluster. This is done on the publisher followed by every node running the TFTP service.
  2. Restart the TFTP process on all nodes.
  3. Reset all phones - easiest at the device pool level - to trigger the  upgrade.
  4. Install upgrade to 7.1(3b) and restart publisher.
  5. Install upgrade to 7.1(3b) on one subscriber and restart. Phones that use this node as the primary node will fallback to the secondary server in the server group listing. If this node has already upgraded (e.g. publisher), the phones will upgrade their firmware.. Wait until this node is back online and phones have returned to it before continuing.
  6. Install upgrade to 7.1(3b) and upgrade the other subscriber. Phones that use this node as the primary node will fallback to the secondary server in the server group listing. At this point the remaining phones should upgrade as all other nodes are on the new version.
  7. Repeat steps four through six to get to 7.1(3b)SU2.
  8. Install the 8.5(4) COP on the 7.1(3b)SU2 cluster.  This is done on the publisher followed by every node running the TFTP  service.
  9. Restart the TFTP process on all nodes.
  10. Reset all phones - easiest at the device pool level - to trigger the upgrade.
  11. Upgrade CCX to 7.
  12. Apply the desired SR to CCX.
  13. Test.
  14. Sleep.

EDIT: Added clarification to steps five and six related to phone fallback between nodes.

16 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

To some extent it doesn't matter as CCX will be out of service either way until both upgrades are complete. I suggest doing UCM first.

Thanks Jonathan for your quick reply.

You're right but I am thinking with the goal to have minimum service downtime.

So I was wondering : Since I'm running CUCM on a cluster with 3 servers and another one with 2 servers for UCCX :

Let's suppose that I install all upgrade files on my CUCM/UCCX cluster but decide to restart each server one after the other with the new software.

I suppose that all ToIP services/IP phones will continue to work with the remaining up & running servers right?

What will happen then when the server with the new soft will be up?

Or maybe the downtime is inevitable and I have to restart all servers in the cluster at the same time (and the new soft obviously)

VIP Super Bronze

I'm running CUCM on a cluster with 3 servers and another one with 2 
servers for UCCX :

Ok, well that fact makes your life a little easier. Get the first cluster without CCX fully upgraded first. The inter-cluster trunk should work just fine between the newer and older UCM clusters. I would even let this settle for a week to ensure you don't run into a 7.1(3b)SU2 related bugs prior to touching your second CCX-connected UCM cluster. Time and torture have taught me to make one change at a time.

Let's suppose that I install all upgrade files on my CUCM/UCCX cluster but decide to restart each server one after the other with the new software.

I suppose that all ToIP services/IP phones will continue to work with the remaining up & running servers right?

You must install and restart the publisher prior to touching any of the subscribers to get the database updates to occur. After that, it depends on how your UCM Server Groups are defined. Cisco recommends that you have a primary and backup subscriber in clusters with three or more nodes. If this is how your system is designed you would upgrade and restart the backup subscriber next. If you are using a 2:1 backup strategy such that your publisher is the backup node, then be careful to only upgrade one subscriber at a time to not overload the publisher since phones will fallback to it. Nothing will happen to the phones while you are upgrading the backup node. Next, you will upgrade and restart the primary subscriber. This will cause the phones to fallback to the backup node which will result in a firmware upgrade and reset. In that case the outage will be as long as it takes for the phones to upgrade. You can shorten this window by ensuring that all of the phones (that support it) have Peer Firmware Filesharing turned on.

Partially answered above. Once the phone's primary server is back online they will fallback to it. If the user is on a call the phone will wait to perform this fallback until the call is done.

PS-  Be sure that you upgrade your phones to 8.5(2) prior to starting this upgrade. The phones will fail to upgrade if you do not bring them to 8.5(2) first. This is in the release notes that no one reads so I'm mentioning it here.

PPS- Once you complete the cluster upgrade I suggest that you upgrade the firmware further to at least 8.5(3) if not 8.5(4). There were several bugs in 8.5(2) which I would suggest avoiding in production.

+5 and a comment for you Jon, excellent explanation!

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Oops I'm sorry I think I miswrote something in my previous post.

I unfortunately don't have 2 CUCM clusters but only one... To be precise, we have :

- 3 servers (1 pub, 2 subs) for CUCM

- 2 servers for UCCX

j.schulenberg a écrit:

I'm running CUCM on a cluster with 3 servers and another one with 2 servers for UCCX :

Ok, well that fact makes your life a little easier. Get the first cluster without CCX fully upgraded first. The inter-cluster trunk should work just fine between the newer and older UCM clusters. I would even let this settle for a week to ensure you don't run into a 7.1(3b)SU2 related bugs prior to touching your second CCX-connected UCM cluster. Time and torture have taught me to make one change at a time.

I found that an direct upgrade from 5.1.3 to 7.1(3b) SU2 was not possible so I will first proceed to 7.1.3b and will consider later to upgrade to SU2.

j.schulenberg a écrit:

Partially answered above. Once the phone's primary server is back online they will fallback to it. If the user is on a call the phone will wait to perform this fallback until the call is done.

So if I understand correctly, this is how i would have to do it :

1) Restart the publisher with new version (IP phones will attach to subscriber server?)

2) Wait for the subscribers databases to be updated (IP Phones will fallback to publisher with new version ? How?)

j.schulenberg a écrit:

PS-  Be sure that you upgrade your phones to 8.5(2) prior to starting this upgrade. The phones will fail to upgrade if you do not bring them to 8.5(2) first. This is in the release notes that no one reads so I'm mentioning it here.

PPS- Once you complete the cluster upgrade I suggest that you upgrade the firmware further to at least 8.5(3) if not 8.5(4). There were several bugs in 8.5(2) which I would suggest avoiding in production.

Thanks for the tip regarding the phones firmware!

VIP Super Bronze

I found that an direct upgrade from 5.1.3 to 7.1(3b) SU2 was not 
possible so I will first proceed to 7.1.3b and will consider later to 
upgrade to SU2.

You will want to be on SU2; lots of bug fixes. This means you will need to upgrade twice.

What server is defined as the primary in the CM Server Group currently? It should not be your publisher in normal circumstances. In a three-node UCM cluster the phones should be balanced between the two subscriber nodes using the publisher as backup; or, one subscriber is the primary and the other subscriber is the backup with the publisher being used for TFTP and database only (i.e. not in the server group listing). The upgrade would go like this:

1. Install the 8.5(2) COP on your existing 5.1(3) cluster. This is done on the publisher followed by every node running the TFTP service.
  2. Restart the TFTP process on all nodes.
  3. Reset all phones - easiest at the device pool level - to trigger the  upgrade.
  4. Install upgrade to 7.1(3b) and restart publisher.
  5. Install upgrade to 7.1(3b) on one subscriber and restart. Phones that use this node as the primary node will fallback to the secondary server in the server group listing. If this node has already upgraded (e.g. publisher), the phones will upgrade their firmware.. Wait until this node is back online and phones have returned to it before continuing.
  6. Install upgrade to 7.1(3b) and upgrade the other subscriber. Phones that use this node as the primary node will fallback to the secondary server in the server group listing. At this point the remaining phones should upgrade as all other nodes are on the new version.
  7. Repeat steps four through six to get to 7.1(3b)SU2.
  8. Install the 8.5(4) COP on the 7.1(3b)SU2 cluster.  This is done on the publisher followed by every node running the TFTP  service.
  9. Restart the TFTP process on all nodes.
  10. Reset all phones - easiest at the device pool level - to trigger the upgrade.
  11. Upgrade CCX to 7.
  12. Apply the desired SR to CCX.
  13. Test.
  14. Sleep.

EDIT: Added clarification to steps five and six related to phone fallback between nodes.

Thank you so much, this step-by-step procedure is really helping!

But before proceeding to step 14 and sleep i have some questions

- What's the point of restarting all IP Phones in Step 3 since they will eventually restart during fallbacks in later steps (5 or 6) ?

- Step 10 :Reset all IP Phones : Is this step only to make sure that all IP Phones get the latest firmware code?

Also in a previous message, you stated the following :

"You must install and restart the publisher prior to touching any of the subscribers to get the database updates to occur."

- Are the database updates local only or does the new-version-publisher shares information with the old-version-subscribers?

VIP Super Bronze

What's the point of restarting all IP Phones in Step 3 since they will 
eventually restart during fallbacks in later steps (5 or 6) ?

You need them to upgrade to 8.5(2). This requires a reset.

Step 10 :Reset all IP Phones : Is this step only to make sure that all 
IP Phones get the latest firmware code?

Yes; phones only upgrade at boot.

Are the database updates local only or does the new-version-publisher 
shares information with the old-version-subscribers?

The publisher upgrades its local database. The schema changes are not extended to the subscribers until they reboot to a matching version.

Hi John,

In step 5, you said that if the secondary server in the server group listing was already upgraded, the phones will upgrade their firmware. That's why I was wondering what was the purpose of the phone reset in step 3 & step 10.

About the database updates, that's what I also thought. Thanks for confirming it.

However, can you tell me what is the status of the cluster when you just reboot the publisher server ? The service will be obviously down for all phones that will reload due to firmware upgrade but what about those which are still attached to one of the subscribers ? will they be able to make calls ?

As a matter of fact, I would like to have an estimation of the impact and the consequences of the servers reboot as well as the ToIP service downtime.

Can you also detail what you explained in step 2& 9?

Cheers,

VIP Super Bronze

However, can you tell me what is the status of the cluster when you just reboot the publisher server ? The service will be obviously down for all phones that will reload due to firmware upgrade but what about those which are still attached to one of the subscribers ? will they be able to make calls ?

As a matter of fact, I would like to have an estimation of the impact and the consequences of the servers reboot as well as the ToIP service downtime.

Service should not be "down" from a server side for any of this if you have properly configured your server group memberships. When an individual server is restarted following its upgrade, the phones that are registered to it should fallback to the next server in the group until it comes back online. When the phone returns to its primary server [post-upgrade] it should reset at that point and upgrade firmware. If the server it falls back to is on a newer version, it may also upgrade at that time. The fallback from one server to another takes is only momentary. A LAN-connected phone with low latency takes roughly 10 minutes to upgrade.

Can you also detail what you explained in step 2& 9?

The TFTP service serves files from memory for performance reasons and only loads the files from the local file system to memory at service startup. Because of this you need to restart the service from UCM Servicibility for the COP file installation to serve the new firmware to the phones. This is documented in the release notes for the firmware.

Ok so the service should always be up except fot the phones that restart, that's good news. Thanks!

If the IP Phones should eventually upgrade themselves during the fall-back phases, why do you recommand to restart them in other steps then?

Regards

VIP Super Bronze

Ok so the service should always be up except fot the phones that 
restart, that's good news. Thanks!

To be clear, this is for UCM only. CCX is a little less resiliant.

If the IP Phones should eventually upgrade themselves during the 
fall-back phases, why do you recommand to restart them in other steps 
then?

Because you need the phones on 8.5(2) prior to upgrading UCM. If they do not make it to that version first you will have a big problem once you upgrade the UCM servers.

I have checked with Cisco Unified Communications Compatibility Tool for System Release 7.1(3)  and here's what I found :

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G
Initial 8.5(3) 
Earliest 8.4(1)

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G
Initial 1.3(2)
Earliest 1.2(1)

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7941G-GE
Initial 8.5(3)
Earliest 8.4(1)

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7960G

Initial 8.1(1)/SCCP; 8.12(0)/SIP
Earliest 8.0(2)/SCCP; 8.8(0)/SIP

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G
Initial 8.5(3)
Earliest 8.4(1)

That means that the minimum firmware I should install is 8.4(1) for most models I possess (except 7921G & 7960G), right?

Since 8.5(2) contains lot of bugs (according to a previous post from you), why did you suggest me to install 8.5(2) instead of 8.5(4) directly ? Is it just a precaution to validate the firmware upgrade for new CUCM version ?

According to this release note, 8.5(4) is supported by CUCM 5.1 :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_5_4/english/release/notes/7900_854.html

What do you think ?

VIP Super Bronze

UCM 7.1(3) and later ship with 8.5(2)SR1. The release notes for the phone firmware state that you must upgrade phones to 8.5(2) before you will be able to upgrade to any firmware version beyond that. Because of this, you must upgrade to 8.5(2) PRIOR to upgrading UCM to 7.1(3) or later.

Once you have upgraded UCM to 7.1(3), I suggest that you upgrade the phones again to 8.5(4) to resolve the bugs from 8.5(2).

j.schulenberg a écrit:

I found that an direct upgrade from 5.1.3 to 7.1(3b) SU2 was not possible so I will first proceed to 7.1.3b and will consider later to upgrade to SU2.

I have seen that 7.1(5) supported direct upgrade from 5.1.3 as well. Now I don't know what to choose better between 7.1.(3b) => 7.1(3b) SU2 and 7.1(5)

Everyone,

For what it is worth, I can say with some certainty that CUCM 7.1(5) is stable with UCCX.  I've got a customer with a fairly busy contact center running 7.0(1)SR5. We upgraded their CUCM to 7.1(5) and they've been stable for the last three weeks.  By 'fairly busy' I mean that they average about 1100+ call attempts during the busy hour (BHCA) and anywhere from 8500 to 15,000 calls a day go through their UCCX 7 system during weekdays.

Just be aware that there are quite a few IBM firmware updates in 7.1(5).  It can take up to 45 minutes for the IBM model servers to come back (there are about 3 reboots in between) after the server is switched into 7.1(5).  The firmware updates don't seem to be documented in the release notes so don't panic if you are doing a remote upgrade and your CUCM doesn't come back right away.

- Steven

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content