cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which is more efficient one long script or lots of smaller ones ?

kkelly
Level 1
Level 1

I'm writing IPCC script for our helpdesk which is really 5 desks rolled into one. Each has its own requiremnets for open /closed / extened hours , call routing ext.

Currenttly they all exist in one script. I need to review and redo the scripting. Should I make one big script ( with logic for five different time checks, and other logic for special circumstances; or make 5 individal ones.

From a IPCC(express) system point of view is loading a large script harder on memory / processing or is loading lots of little ones.

3 Replies 3

ahmed.junaid
Level 1
Level 1

I dont think memory would be an issue as i am currently running very large scripts with out any issues. Issue is that one script doesnot help you much when it comes to reporting. Usually CallType reports are important for customer as it gives complete detail about call (END-TO-END). Doing everything in one script sometimes doesn't meet reporting requirements. Its rather a good practice to send calls from one script to others using REQUALIFY NODE.

I think the original question was referring to IPCC express.

To answer the question, I think it depends. Good practice in programming is to write subroutines, modules, etc and call them from your main application.

This can be replicated to programming IPCC scripts but its really a personal preference and depends on the situation.

The biggest issue I have with programming ivr scripts using "subflows" is that when the call is in the "subflow" you lose the ability use the "reactive debug" effectively.

If it wasn't for that, I would use them more often.

I do however use subflows for small scripts that perform a specific task (check a holiday, db dip for data, etc).

Your concern seems to be from a performance point of view and whether the script is large or small it won't really affect the performance.

hope that helps.

please rate helpful posts.

adignan - berbee

l.mourits
Level 5
Level 5

Especially since you are doing different time checks I would recommend one script with parameters to be configured from application manager. But this is just how I prefer it, there is no real best practice I would like to add!

kind regards,

Leo