Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Modem has to be reset to get an internet connection on devices?

Hi.

A few days ago I wanted to change the SSID name of our router to download an item in a video game without having to go to the store to get said item. I asked my dad what the username was to get into the network settings, http://192.168.0.1, and he didn't even know, he said that Charter gave us no papers with the device when they came over to install it years ago. So I pushed in that tiny button on the back of our Cisco DPC2325 modem for a few seconds to restore it to factory settings.

I was able to login using the default username and password. I changed the SSID and password under the Wireless' Basic and Security tabs, now at first my games were unable to connect, until I changed the WPA/WPA2 Encryption to AES (along with the game's settings to AES). I was able to get my special DLC, and connect to the internet, alright cool... but not for long.

So now it's been difficult to keep an internet connection on mobile devices, such as phones, video gaming handhelds, and consoles. The devices will pick up the wireless network, I enter the password, and it will say things like "encryption key was entered incorrectly, or move closer to the router". I reset the modem by unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in, then the devices are able to connet to the internet again, but only for a while. Our two computers that are cabled directly are unaffected and have stable internet connection.

Before all this change I remember the encryption key going by WEP instead, the WEP settings are grey and unselectable now. What did I mess up? Why does the modem have to be resetted for our devices to get internet, but only for a short while? My dad's kinda getting upset now that he can't watch videos on his phone anymore.

3 REPLIES

So no one had answers huh?

Well, I messed with the settings even more and I guess I got internet connect to stay on mobile decives now... I don't even know what I did to make it work. I can't get the router to work off WEP encryption though, mainly because I don't know how, but now I can no longer connect my older DS's to it.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

You might ahve to go back to Charter and ask them to help you out, since they might of had specific setting that is required on their end.

Here is a guide if you don't have it already.

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4024320-new.pdf

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This discussion has been

This discussion has been reposted to the CSC Content with No Valid Community to Post community.  

Views
Helpful
Replies