cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uplink profile total ports

jconides
Level 1
Level 1

I read that the max-ports command onyl works for Vethernet profiles. Does any one know how Ethernet profiles get their max ports defined? Is it dynamic?

Thanks,

John

5 Replies 5

cutran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John.  The number of physical NICs that the VEM supports is the same as VMware, which is 32.  A port-profile (be it of type vEthernet or Ethernet), the total is 2,000 per VSM instance.  Hope that answers your questions.  Thanks,

Cuong

My customer is asking me why the uplink profile on one 1000v has 14 ports, while another one has 84. Wondering how these values are generated.

Thanks,

John

Can you ask your customer to provide the output on what he is asking regarding the ports?  It sounds like they are referring to the port-profiles of type vEthernet, which are for Virtual Machines on the ESX/ESXi servers.  If you can provide that, it maybe become clearer on what they are asking.  Thanks,

Cuong

Not sure if you will be able to see the attached screenshots, but here are the ports available on the system uplink profiles.

The customer is wondering why one has 14 ports, and the other 84.

Thanks,

John

Hello John,

Did you manage to get an answer about the 'Total ports' question (on the vCenter Networking tab) ?

I have the same issue for two Uplink groups on the same N1k (one is showing 60, the other just 4) and like you I do not understand what is defining the 'Total ports' appearing on the vCenter Networking tabs.

FYI, I have not changed the 'max-ports' value of 32 appearing under  the "show port-profile" on the N1k.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Karim