cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring VXLAN using a pair of CSR1000v's

adolfo.cadillo
Level 1
Level 1

My setup consists of a cisco UCS chassis and VMware running as my hypervisor.  I am using VMware ESXi5.0 build 3.  I have deployed 2 CSR1000v VM's and two linux VM's for this POC.   My first CSR1000v_1 has 3 interfaces, gig1 for management, gig2 for is my VXLAN interface and gig3 is my VLAN 300 interface (bridge domain).  Interfaces gig2 and gig3 are on the N1K switch in different port profiles respectively. 

My second CSR1000v_2 has 3 interfaces as well, gig1 for management, gig 2 is my VXLAN interface and gig3 is my vlan 300 interface (bridge domain).  interface gig 2 is on the N1K switch and in the same port profile and CSR1000v_1.  Interface gig3 is on a  standalone vsphere virtual standard switch that I created so as to have total separation. 

I followed the cisco configurations on how to setup the VXLAN's on the CSR1000v and it doesn't seem to work.  When I do a "show nve peers" I get nothing.  I have created a IGMP snooping querier on a upstream N5k that I have but still no go.  When I do a "show nve interface nve 1" I get the following:

source-interface: loopback0 (primary:10.100.1.1 vrf:0), so it doesn't even see my other loopback. 

I can ping between both devices but still no go, can anybody help me?

5 Replies 5

Aries Fernandes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am not sure of the problem, but I have used a setup as below:

VM1----CSR1----CORE-----CSR2----VM2. Also, I have used only vswitches for all connections on the ESXi. So, my VTEP's are my CSR's which encapsulate and strip the VXLAN tagging.

For config's you can refer this blog which I have written on basic bring up of VXLAN:

http://stayinginit.blogspot.com/2014/02/vxlan-basics.html

Hope this helps

Hi Aries,

What's the configuration of the vSwitch, must have work in promiscuous mac mode?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Taoli,

Yes, the L2 side should work in the promiscuous mode.

Thanks,

Aries

Thanks. 

taoli
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

谢谢。实验做通了。VxLAN 配置简单。

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: