Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Did the peer link behavior change with ver 6.x?

Platform: N5500, ver6.0.2, L3 card

I'm finding contradictions in the docs with respect to using a non-vpc link for non-vpc unicast traffic.  I thought the vpc peer link dropped transit traffic, but:--

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/interfaces/602_n1_1/L3_w_vpc_5500platform.html#wp1010793

In some circumstances, you might consider having a separate link between the two vPC switches, either to carry non-vPC VLAN traffic or to form Layer 3 routing protocol peering. While this design is supported on the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series switch, it does not work on the Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switch. With the Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switch, we recommend that you use a vPC peer link for Layer 3 peering to carry both vPC and non-vPC VLAN traffic.

That implies there's no problem using the peer-link to transit unicast traffic.  It also implies non-vpc trunk kind of works, but it's not ideal.  So exactly why won't a non-vpn link work on a 5500 with L3 card for orphan or non-vpc traffic?

I would appreciate more details about why a non-vpn trunk does and doesn't work.

will

Everyone's tags (6)
Views
Helpful
Replies