Cisco Support Community

OTV VDC Requirement

I've heard some different stories on whether or not a separate VDC is required specifically for OTV functionality, all the material I've seen says 'yes' you should a separate VDC for OTV, but I just wanted to give a shout out on this forum.

Also, let's say I have 2 VDCs (VDC-A and VDC-B) and I wanted both those of those VDC's to be OTV'ed to a secondary data center, would that then require a 2x specific OTV VDCs one for each VDC or can I run two OTV instances within the same VDC providing OTV capabilities for 2 different VDC's?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog:

OTV VDC Requirement

Hi There

first of all you are right that a separate VDC is required to run OTV and best practice

however this dose not mean you need a VDC per other VDCs, it is just like you creating a virtual appliance servicing you OVT ( encapsulating L2 into L3 OTV header ) then back to your normal network/L3 VDC

all what you need is a L2 link /access or trunk from each VDC need to use OTV ( intra-interchassis ) and a L3 link from the OTV VDC back to your switch in L3 ( for encapsulated traffic )

hope this help

Re: OTV VDC Requirement

Thank you for clarifying that.

Another quick question can my OTV Join interface connect to a Non-Nexus device, the way I understand it it will simply be passing multicast traffic. (I will be configuring multicast transport between my OTV DC sessions) I was planning on connecting the OTV Join interface to an upstream catalyst device, just so I don't have to burn another physical port on the N7k and this way the OTV Join interface is closer to the WAN.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog:
Cisco Employee

Re: OTV VDC Requirement

No problem at all, you can connect your join interface at any device L3 capable.

*Be aware about the MTU requirement. (most people forget that).

CreatePlease to create content