cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VM Workstation with Linux

BSOC support
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys. I hope on the correct Forum area here.

Anyway I'm just starting to learn about ESXi and VM Workstation. A colleague of mine has helped me set up a CUCM v8.5 and Unity cluster using ESXi and vSphere.

For those virtual machines he has used an OVF template for Unity and then I think a sgn.iso file for CUCM that he downloaded from CCO. For CUCM he built the virtual machine and then pointed the CD drive to the sgn.iso and everything loaded fine.

Today a colleague of mine had problems with his CUCM v7 virtual machine that he has built into VM Workstation.

I tried to build another virtual machine on his VM Workstation using my ESXi sgn.iso file however the VM advised that the operating system could not be found. Upon looking at the iso file that he used for CUCM v7 we found that this iso file loaded Linux Redhat first and then CUCM on top I believe.

So the question is why do you not need Redhat Linux whilst loading an OVF template or ISO file onto ESXi but you do with VM Worksation. I assume with Workstation being Windows based you need to install a Linux platform first? Is ESXi Linux based?

Many thanks

BSOC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bravocarlos
Level 1
Level 1

You always need Linux Red hat as your OS for Call Manager. Call manager is basically an app running on top of it.

The difference is that the OVF File already has red hat installed on the base disk probably.

Another issue you are probably having has to do with the bootloader. Linux has an special way of loading the OS for installation different than windows. I remember that for some versions of Call Manager you had to take the boot loader file from a Red Hat install CD and inject it into the Call Manager ISO. Google something along those lines, you should be able to find the answer fairly quick.

Greetings,

C.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

bravocarlos
Level 1
Level 1

You always need Linux Red hat as your OS for Call Manager. Call manager is basically an app running on top of it.

The difference is that the OVF File already has red hat installed on the base disk probably.

Another issue you are probably having has to do with the bootloader. Linux has an special way of loading the OS for installation different than windows. I remember that for some versions of Call Manager you had to take the boot loader file from a Red Hat install CD and inject it into the Call Manager ISO. Google something along those lines, you should be able to find the answer fairly quick.

Greetings,

C.