Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can't upgrade older DMPs running 5.1 firmware

I'm having problems updating 2 older DMPs running version 5.1 firmware to the latest versions. These were units used in one of our old testng labs and I recently dusted them off in attempt to get them moved to one of our other testing and development locations. One is a DMP-4400G and the other is a DMP-4305G.

For some reason they refuse to take any new firmware file such as 5.2.2, 5.2.3, 5.3 etc. When upgrading from the web portal it appears to flash and verify the firmware files correctly. The unit then indicates it is restarting through the web browser as if it has been upgraded successfully. However when it restarts it is still running the older firmware version 5.1.

Any help or insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Everyone's tags (7)
11 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

I will be interetsed to see these logs

./dm2/log/upgrade/5.3.0/dmsupgrade.log

./dm2/log/upgrade/5.3.0/dmspostupgrade.log

Have you tried reimaging the box with a fresh install ( a full blown iso) instead of step upgrade ?

These 2 Digital Media Players are not registered to our DMM which is now running 5.3. I'm not following you with regards to reimaging using a full blown .iso file which sounds like you are talking about the DMM server. I'm trying to get these standalone DMPs to upgrade beyond 5.1 via their built in web browser which is not working as described above.

Cisco Employee

ok. Richard above you mentioned "For some reason they refuse to take any new firmware file such as 5.2.2, 5.2.3, 5.3 etc"

Does that mean from 5.1.x you tried to go to 5.2.2,5.2.3 and 5.3 directly ?

What you are missing is following:

a)You cannot upgrade to 5.2.2 directly from 5.1. Minimum you need to go to 5.2, check this,

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282100271/35599/DMS5.2.1Update_Readme.txt

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_2/dms/upgrade/guide/521UpgradeGuide.html#wp316812

b)You need to have a 5.2 license.

hth

I just received the 5.2.0 frmware from Cisco today. I tried to upgrade the 4400G from the web interface just as before and same result--it appears to take the firmware and upload and verify on the DMP. Then it automtically restarts but the firmware never takes as once the unit reboots it is still showing version 5.1.

One thing to clarify is that I no longer have access to a DMM running 5.1 as my server is already upgraded to 5.3. The instructions referenced above indicate you need to upgrade the DMP firmware from DMM before you upgrade your DMM server. Obviously I can't do this.

After doing a little more research I see others using MIBs from their web browsers to manipulate the DMPs directly bypassing the DMP's built in web browser interface. But I'm not sure how to proceed along these lines.

Any other thoughts you might have would be most apprecited.

Cisco Employee

Can you de-register your DMP with DMM and then upgrade DMP as standalone unit ?

The DMPs are not registered to DMM. Both units have been reset to their factory defaults but still won't upgrade past 5.1.

Cisco Employee

I dont think you have a valid 5.2 license. Please read this clip out from a link I sent you earlier

"If you are running a release earlier than 5.2.1, you must upgrade to 5.2.1 first, and then upgrade to 5.2.2.

You must have a valid Cisco DMS 5.2 license to use this upgrade"

I'm not following you. The units are standalone DMPs which have been factory defaulted. FYI, we are running DMS 5.3 with valid licenses.

Cisco Employee

Are these just two units having this issue ? any other unit that have this problem ? we may have to look into install.logs and other things. I'd suggest open a TAC case to let us investigate further

I am also having this problem. I have a DMP I am trying to get from 5.1 to 5.3.6 any suggestions on how to do this?

Cisco Employee

This looks to match a known issue for DMP-4400:

CSCta40291 - Some 4400 fail to upgrade

We have found some DMP-4400G devices are unable to upgrade firmware versions.

This happens with upgrading from the DMM or from the local DMP GUI. Everything seems to work but after the reload the device is still at the previous version.

Conditions: This is due to a mistake on some DMP-4400G.

Workaround: Please contact TAC for a patch. In some cases only upgrading to 5.2.0 (not 5.2.1 or another version) will fix the issue. Sometimes an RMA is required.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content