Views
Helpful
Replies

DMP 4310G and PoE

jmandersson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

According to our "Video" guys, the DMP 4310G should not use PoE when an external power source is conneced.

From my point of view (the switch view) that is not really what is happening.

The DMP is starting flapping between PoE and non-PoE every second when it's connected to a PoE-enabled port

313757: Feb 25 10:54:37.569 CET: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/11: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
313758: Feb 25 10:54:38.123 CET: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Fa0/11: Power granted
313759: Feb 25 10:54:40.631 CET: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Fa0/11: PD removed
313760: Feb 25 10:54:41.512 CET: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/11: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
313761: Feb 25 10:54:42.175 CET: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Fa0/11: Power granted
313762: Feb 25 10:54:43.500 CET: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Fa0/11: PD removed
313763: Feb 25 10:54:44.507 CET: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/11: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
313764: Feb 25 10:54:45.505 CET: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Fa0/11: PD removed
313765: Feb 25 10:54:46.503 CET: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa0/11: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
313766: Feb 25 10:54:47.166 CET: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Fa0/11: Power granted

The quick fix for this is to issue the power inline never on the switchport. But my question is why is the DMP not behaving as i should? Why is it requesting PoE every second if it should not use it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Johan

12 Replies 12

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi

1- Cisco DMP is POE , which can be power up using Cisco switches POE .

2-Cisco DMP supports 802.3af PoE .

3-Cisco DMP requires about 15.4 watt

4-Check the cable , may be you have packet loss .To check cable is ok or n , check the following

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18983

5-Basically the cause of this Message is output in the following condition.Imax error is reported by PoE controller of the switch, when a PoE PD device misbehavesand draws more power ( Port Current ) beyond theirs specified limit.

Imax error is reported after the device is Powered up and it's an operating fault.Usually that message can happen when new PD (power device) is connected and cause thepower spike on port, or PD is mis-behaving or there is a problem with cable or patch panel.

6- Check the DMP for other switch and check again.

7- If you have stack between switches , check may be you have stack flapping.

Can you have a look

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/video/digital-media-manager/data_sheet_c78-625677.html

Thanks

Please rate  all useful information

hi

Try the below commands to disable the logs , and do not wory these logs will not affect your environment

(config)#logging discriminator ILPOWER msg-body drops ILPOWER-7-DETECT

(config)#logging console discriminator ILPOWER

(config)#logging buffered discriminator ILPOWER

I hope also to check the power , # show power inline

thanks

Please rate all useful information

Hi and thanks for your reply!

Yes, great generel info about PoE. But still, we have external power supply connected so the DMP should never try to negotiate for PoE, right?

I have not checked the cables, but this problem is for all our DMP's, so I guess that almost ruled out to.

Sure, we can filter out the logs, but I'm not looking for a quick dirty fix, I want to find the root cause of the misbehaving PoE device.

Is there a setting in the DMP that can turn off PoE?

Again, thanks for your efforts.
Johan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi

1- Nothing to do on Cisco DMP , you have to disable POE from switch side as you mentoned above.

power inline never

or

no power inline

Thanks

Please rate all useful infomation

Is there a setting in the DMP that can turn off PoE?

conf t

interface f0/11

power inline never

Hi

I forgot one important issue , which cause your issue. When both PoE power and AC power are detected, AC power overrides PoE and disconnects the PoE circuit .So switch detect  a poe device and power .

Thanks

Please rate all useful infromation

Hi Leo and Islam.

As I wrote in the initial post, power inline never, is not what I'm looking for.

We use DMP's on switchports with dynamic vlan assignment, therfore I need to keep the switchport configuration as generic as possible. If I use power ineline never, then I can promise that I have a ip-phone on that port next week that won't boot.

The problem with the logs is that is not one or two log entry. This PoE flapping is happening almost every second as the DMP is connected and therefore creates thousands of log entrys each day.

Don't you agree on that it is the DMP that is causing this problem and should be fixed within the DMP?

Don't you agree on that it is the DMP that is causing this problem and should be fixed within the DMP?

I am suspecting there's a bug with the DMP firmware where the appliance can't make up it's mind to accept the source of power.

Okey

Thanks for your help Islam and Leo

Regards,
Johan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

jmandersson
Level 1
Level 1

Robert,

They are bought from a system integrator. I've been told they have created a case but haven't seen any output from it.

Sure I can test with 15.0.2 but that is nothing that will be but in the prodution network, we rather looking into downgradeing to 12.2.55 due to an upcoming ISE integration.

Leo,

The site with several DMP's has a newly installed and certified Category 7 cabling. I don't say that it's impossible but I really don't think that the cabling is the issue. As I wrote in the previous post, we have the same problem on another site to.

The interface is not going up/down, it's just the PoE that is flapping, this is happening almost every second. The DMP is woorking fine during these flaps, it does not reboot.

Johan

Greg Overland
Level 4
Level 4

Just to add that we also had the same problem.  Installed three DMP 4310s with external power and one never had a problem, one had serious flapping.  We choose to disconnected the external power.

hello

yes , completely true . This is a good idea to solve issue when you player connected to poe switch. you can also go to switch and disable power as below suggestions. It is very important to do a survey before take a decision to purchase charger or not and this is based of your existing switches (poe support or not).

Thanks

please rate all useful information

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: