Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Edge Player with DMM Server?

Colleagues,

I have a relatively simple  question, but I have attempted to head off potential qualifying requests for additional information.  If you already have a quick answer, you need not read this entire post, unless your answer might be a request for further info first.

QUESTION: Are you (or anyone you have heard of) using an Edge 300 or 340 with the DMM Server (v.5.2.3, 5.3, or 5.4.1)??

OUR ENVIRONMENT:

• We are using DMM Server software version 5.2.3 and we have a new client who needs some players to receive content from our DMM Server.  
  • The main reason this client will be using our server is because our server is setup to provide Emergency Alerts via the SingleWire InformaCast (IC) server product (upstream of our DMM Server).
  • The IC server has a special DMM plugin which communicates with the DMM Server directly, and then cuts in (interupts) published content to all the specified groups of DMPs on that DMM Server (automatically), even if the DMPs in question are currently broadcasting scheduled content.
  • Currently, we use DMP 4400G player's on firmware v.5.2.3, and these DMPs resume their normally scheduled content after the Emergency Broadcast from the InformaCast Server ends the Emergency message to the DMM Server.

UPGRADING FROM DMM 5.2.3 TO 5.4

• In the past, when we evaluated DMM v.5.4, we decided not to upgrade our DMM server to that version, because it was incompatible with SingleWire InformaCast sourced Emergency Broadcasts (at least, that appeared to be the case, due to a change in the DMM API between v.5.2.3 and v.5.4).
  • It would have added a button or two and some amount of complexity to the process for creating the Emergency Broadcasts, so we decided to stay at ver.5.2.3, and immediately began evaluating AppSpace and other signage systems/solutions.
  • We are currently considering upgrading our DMM Infrastructure to AppSpace (which works with the 4400G, Edge Players 300 & 340, as well as Windows PCs), largely because this would make it easier on our numerous current clients who already have 4400 DMPs, but who might not want to upgrade to the Edge Player or a PC Player right away.

TEMPORARY USE OF EDGE WITH DMM:

• Thus, we would prefer to stop selling the DMP 4400G now, even if we don't upgrade at the server side to AppSpace right away, because the Edge Player is superior and its cost is about the same, and if we do migrate to AppSpace anyone with an Edge Player already will have that much less expense to worry about, to immediately receive a better and more functional service.
  • We are in fact are also considering other systems such as Four Winds Interactive (FWi), however, I thought it worth checking now, on the possibility of using the Edge Player with our current systems.
  • Either way (whether we upgrade to AppSpace, FWi, or any other system) it seems we will definitely continue to have a digital signage system, and thus it there is nothing to loose, even if the new client I just acquired only has their new players for less than a year (because, even on some other system, they will not be able to use the Edge or 4400, and for the time being, if it will work with our DMM Server, they will get better performance from it, for approx. the same price (AFAIK).

Thank you,

Paul Richardson

Everyone's tags (4)
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

QUESTION: Are you (or anyone

QUESTION: Are you (or anyone you have heard of) using an Edge 300 or 340 with the DMM Serve
r (v.5.2.3, 5.3, or 5.4.1)??

I've got a few Edge 300 for testing.  I've seen the Edge 340 (with wireless and PoE support).  

DMM/DMS/DMP is a "dead" product.  Cisco is now reselling a third-party software by AppSpace called Nexus On-Demand.  

Hi Leo,Thank you for the

Hi Leo,

Thank you for the reply.  

I perhaps should have mentioned that although my production systems are actually DMM Servers with DMP 4400G players, I also have several evaluation/testing on-premise installations of AppSpace 5.0 Servers (one on Hyper-V, and another on ESXi), which I've been using to publish content to a variety of players (a PC, a 4400G, and an Edge 340).  

So I have the Edge 340 on hand already (also, just testing at this point).  I just wondered if anyone had been pushing content to it directly from the DMM instead of using the DMM Server for Active Directory authentication and pushing the content from AppSpace to the Edge players (the recommended configuration, for AD-user accounts with on-premise installations).

Thanks,

Paul

Views
Helpful
Replies