Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTP Server

Hello CSC ,

Time Synchronization for Cisco IP Phone at present we are using reference clock , Status:running normally . After period of time , Time start getting drift .So we have plan  to deployed the NTP SERVER In our network .

From Call manager OS Administration we add one of  gateway cisco 3845 router IP Address to it, we have two gateways i.e cisco 3845 router's

NTP Status as below

one of reference is 127.X.X.X another reference 10.X.X.X .

sh ntp status
Clock is synchronized, stratum 9, reference is 10.X.X.X  
nominal freq is 250.0000 Hz, actual freq is 249.9998 Hz, precision is 2**24
reference time is D09751FB.17786B18 .................

sh ntp status
Clock is synchronized, stratum 8, reference is 127.127.X.X
nominal freq is 250.0000 Hz, actual freq is 250.0000 Hz, precision is 2**24
reference time is D0975994.D0A607B5..................etc

From Call manager OS Administration now i want to add the NTP SERVER IP addresss , shall i need to remove NTP Service from the Cisco gateway 3845. or only remove the gateways IP Address from CCM Pub and then put NTP Server IP Address and then restarts all servers.

Thanks in advcance for your response

1 REPLY
VIP Super Bronze

Re: NTP Server

You can do either; the ntpd service should synchronize with whatever source has the highest stratum if you leave all three there.

Also, the reason why time is drifting is that ISR router hardware is not intended to be a master clock source without external synchronization. The way I do this is to synchronize the routers to an external clock such as a public stratum two server that does not require DNS or notification. I then synchronize everything else at the data center to these two routers. Any WAN-connected sites use that site's router to synchronize to the central two in the data center and any local equipment at the site uses it's local router instead.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content