Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2.2

We'll be undertaking this upgrade soon, and I would like an estimate of the time it will take to upgrade the DMM appliance.  I have already estimated the time for doing the DMPs throughout the system, and I know they must be upgraded before the DMM.  I would also like to know if the content and presentations in the DMM will be available after the upgrade, or if we'll have to rebuild everything.  We also have a video portal appliance that will be upgraded as well.

If anyone can tell me what changes we'll see across the versions, I'd appreciate that as well.  I'm going to have to help the coordinators at our campuses make the transition, and we don't have a test environment, so I'm planning on a week of downtime for the system.

Thank you,

Mike Sellers

Program Manager

Multimedia Communications

Lone Star College System

Everyone's tags (7)
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Michael, Your content and presentation would not be affected with this upgrade. Its only when you use a full .iso image that wipes off the configuration. Regarding your question on new features in 5.2.2, here are the following

Changes to Cisco Digital Signs in 5.2.2

Cisco Digital Media Player 4310G

All-new DMP 4310G endpoints are the newest model in our versatile family of Cisco Digital Media Players. This newest model introduces many hardware and software features that older DMP models could not include. See http://cisco.com/go/dms/dmp/datasheets.

Cisco Medianet Support

DMP 4310G endpoints in the 5.2.2 release support some technologies of Cisco Medianet. These DMPs know and can broadcast their own product type and model, software version, and - in some cases - physical location. In turn, they can receive their IP address, VLAN assignment, and network configuration settings automatically, in anticipation of you registering them to your DMM server. As of this release, these DMPs do not support service discovery via DHCP or autoregistration to your DMM server.

Digital Media Designer Best Practices Assistant

Digital Media Designer 5.2.2 introduces a "best practices" assistant. This feature analyzes your presentation design choices and recommends ways to optimize your designs for DMP compatibility and performance.

Improved Grouping and Management in Digital Signs

Digital Signs (formerly DMM-DSM) 5.2.2 introduces an improved user interface for DMP management and grouping. In addition, it can detect whether Cisco LCD Professional series flat-panel displays are turned On or Off.

Digital Media Player Remote Control Button Remapping

Digital Media Player Device Manager 5.2.2 introduces features to remap button function assignments on a DMP remote control.

Resume Interrupted DMS-CD Deployments

Cisco DMS Content Distribution (DMS-CD) introduces a feature to turn Off the automatic resumption of interrupted deployments. By turning these Off, you can force DMS-CD to retrieve dynamic assets repeatedly even though their filenames and URIs are not changed. And in so doing, you cause your DMPs to have and use the newest asset revisions known to DMS-CD.

RTP Streaming

This release introduces support for RTP streaming when the DMP model is 4310G

Cisco Employee

No ..doesnt take that long. since you are not running a full iso image (not a first time install) therefore upgrade DVD will not take that long.  may be 30 minutes to an hour.

Cisco Employee

Michael, burn it as an image on a DVD-R at the lowest speed possible.

DVD+R are more effective if you are writing at higher speeds because this format uses a number of improved technologies like ADIP (ADdress In Pregroove) system of tracking and speed control making it less susceptible to interference and error than the LPP (Land Pre Pit) system used by DVD-R, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds. But since we recommend burning/writing disk at lower speed we always recommend DVD-R formats.

Gimme a shout in case you run into any issues.

Please rate this post and mark it answered for others to refer if you feel this was helpful !

7 REPLIES

I can help you with this but it would be better done off line. I did the initial install out there at lonestar several years ago (assuming you are the Lonstar near Houston!)

Let me know how I can contact you.

Cisco Employee

Michael, Your content and presentation would not be affected with this upgrade. Its only when you use a full .iso image that wipes off the configuration. Regarding your question on new features in 5.2.2, here are the following

Changes to Cisco Digital Signs in 5.2.2

Cisco Digital Media Player 4310G

All-new DMP 4310G endpoints are the newest model in our versatile family of Cisco Digital Media Players. This newest model introduces many hardware and software features that older DMP models could not include. See http://cisco.com/go/dms/dmp/datasheets.

Cisco Medianet Support

DMP 4310G endpoints in the 5.2.2 release support some technologies of Cisco Medianet. These DMPs know and can broadcast their own product type and model, software version, and - in some cases - physical location. In turn, they can receive their IP address, VLAN assignment, and network configuration settings automatically, in anticipation of you registering them to your DMM server. As of this release, these DMPs do not support service discovery via DHCP or autoregistration to your DMM server.

Digital Media Designer Best Practices Assistant

Digital Media Designer 5.2.2 introduces a "best practices" assistant. This feature analyzes your presentation design choices and recommends ways to optimize your designs for DMP compatibility and performance.

Improved Grouping and Management in Digital Signs

Digital Signs (formerly DMM-DSM) 5.2.2 introduces an improved user interface for DMP management and grouping. In addition, it can detect whether Cisco LCD Professional series flat-panel displays are turned On or Off.

Digital Media Player Remote Control Button Remapping

Digital Media Player Device Manager 5.2.2 introduces features to remap button function assignments on a DMP remote control.

Resume Interrupted DMS-CD Deployments

Cisco DMS Content Distribution (DMS-CD) introduces a feature to turn Off the automatic resumption of interrupted deployments. By turning these Off, you can force DMS-CD to retrieve dynamic assets repeatedly even though their filenames and URIs are not changed. And in so doing, you cause your DMPs to have and use the newest asset revisions known to DMS-CD.

RTP Streaming

This release introduces support for RTP streaming when the DMP model is 4310G

Thank you for the information.  I still would like to know how long the upgrade might take, though.  Will it be a couple of hours or a full day, or longer?

Cisco Employee

No ..doesnt take that long. since you are not running a full iso image (not a first time install) therefore upgrade DVD will not take that long.  may be 30 minutes to an hour.

Ok, thank you.

One last question:  Does it matter if we use DVD-R or DVD+R to record the upgrades?

Cisco Employee

Michael, burn it as an image on a DVD-R at the lowest speed possible.

DVD+R are more effective if you are writing at higher speeds because this format uses a number of improved technologies like ADIP (ADdress In Pregroove) system of tracking and speed control making it less susceptible to interference and error than the LPP (Land Pre Pit) system used by DVD-R, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds. But since we recommend burning/writing disk at lower speed we always recommend DVD-R formats.

Gimme a shout in case you run into any issues.

Please rate this post and mark it answered for others to refer if you feel this was helpful !

Hello

I have an issue , lost connectivity , about DMP 4310G and i decide to upgrade the firmware from 5.3 to 5.3.5. My question is if i proceed with upgrade the configuration of DMP will take affect ? Shall  it came back to the defaults?  

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content