Views
Helpful
Replies

Aleart trigger based on percent

vkoprivica
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to trigger track based on percent of icmp drops for specific time interval. For example if
we collect more than 5% of un-successful pings in 5 minutes I would like to generate the snmp trap or syslog message.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have a look at this thread.  It is similar to what you are asking.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12225606/eem-email-alert-ip-sla-based-packet-loss

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have a look at this thread.  It is similar to what you are asking.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12225606/eem-email-alert-ip-sla-based-packet-loss

Joseph,

It did helped but I have more questions. I have configured sla icmp-jitter to measure packet loss but
when I shutdown the interface of responding side, packet loss counters doesn't increment.
Not sure what I am doing wrong.

When you do that, what is the status of your IP SLA collector?

I was trying this in gns3 lab. The number of sla failures was increasing.

Here is my config:

ip sla logging traps
ip sla 2
 icmp-jitter 155.1.13.3 source-ip 155.1.13.1 num-packets 300 interval 40
 frequency 300
ip sla schedule 2 life forever start-time now

ip sla reaction-configuration 1 react Packetloss threshold-value 15 1 threshold-type immediate action-type trapOnly

This would be expected if you don't have a route to that IP anymore.  IP SLA will fail to put the packets on the wire.  Only if the route exists but does not respond would you see loss.

Do you have any idea how can I monitor than reachability of some node on the Internet and trigger alerts based on percentage drops?

Your IP SLA configuration would do that provided you still have a route to your destination.  Meaning if you replace 155.1.13.3 with the IP of some internet host, and the route to that host is installed in the routing table, then you should be able to monitor loss as you want.

If there is a route to the destination but host is not available, should I see the packet loss?

I created the static routes to the destination. I also applied inbound icmp deny access list at the destination router for incoming pings. I still do not see packetloss even though Ipsla is down.

Access list:

access-list 100 deny icmp host 155.1.13.1 host 155.1.13.3

access-list 100 permit ip any any