Views
Helpful
Replies

control char with cli_exec

dmitry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to put together an EEM based TCL script for a "call home" like feature (if a client's VPN router behind NAT is not reachable via VPN tunnel, the router would get the backdoor open from inside to netcat), all works except passing control chars (ctrl-C, ctrl-Z, up arrow, etc), I see the commands arrive at TCL via a socket properly encoded (regexe properly identified utf-8 or octet coding), however when passed to CLI using cli_exec or cli_write, not treated as controls.

The TCL opens a TCP socket to xinetd with NCAT without any TELNET negotiations

The absence of the controls is not a huge issue, more like "nice to have"

appreciate any feedback

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you share your code?  Control characters definitely work on a socket, but if you have to go through the CLI, you may have to use some tricks to pass them along.   It would be useful to see what you have now.

Sure, the tcl script is attached. The way it works is a VPN router runs the script on EEM cron every 15 min. the script opens a socket to a jump server's xinetd on tcp 80, xinetd starts a shell wrapper around ncat (the one that comes with nmap). The launched instance of ncat starts listening on tcp 8001 - 8999 (the wrapper finds an available port for it from the given range, also collects the router's name and logs in a file). At this point an operator can telnet to let's say 8001 on the jumper box and get cli of the VPN router

So is Ctrl+C/Z coming through as binary from the socket?  What other things are you trying to send?  Are you trying to do a send command or something within config mode?  If they are coming through in binary, you might try special casing them, and send the literal character using Ctrl+V+Ctrl+Z/C.

in the fconfigure tried -encoding binary, utf-8, no -encoding, does not seem to make any difference

had a temp regexe;

} else {
set data1 $data
+ if {[regexe {(\u0010|\u001a)} $data1 ]}  {
 + ....

# the $data1 came from the socket, the unicode properly matches to the pressed keys on the client: \u0010 - ctrl-P , \u001a - ctrl-z. $data1 then gets to cli_write and gets echoed (clie_read_drain) as CC8

regsub -all {[\n\r]+} $data1 {} data1

will try the ctrl-V escape

update:

the ctrl-Z (\001a) seem to work (even without ctrl-V prepended), although with a bit of decoded garbage: it goes to cli_write as C?C8^Z, the cli_read_drain returns:

call    call-history-mib  call-home  cdp
cef     chat-script       class-map  clock
cns     config-register   connect    control-plane
crypto  cwmp

testrtr01(config)#                   ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

testrtr01#
testrtr01#

Nov 13 10:53:28.449: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by  on vty0 (EEM:eemcat.tcl)

so, CLI takes the first C as the beginning of the command then evaluates ^Z and gets out of config mode 

The ctrl-V (\u0016) is not working,

The ctrl-P (\u0010) or up arrow (\u001b[A) no working with ctrl-V (\u0016) pre pended or without:

with ctrl-V in front getting

% Bad IP address or host name
% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address

without, no output

giving up on this

On the other note, is there a way to make cli_read* async, so it could read debug messages as they show up. If I put it in while loop, it will block the socket's fileevent (or is it even possible to have more than one vwait forever in tcl)?

Thanks

I had kind of meant like special casing things in your callback, then doing:

cli_exec $cli1(fd) "Ctl+V+Ctl+Z"

Where those are the literal characters you typed into the text file.  Make sense?

Unfortunately, no, cli_read is sync.  I have requested this to be more of an async thing or at least something you can time out, but that has not been implemented.

nope, did not work, intercepted ctrl-p (\u0010) (same as up arrow action) and replaced with "Ctl+V+Ctl+P", then "Ctrl+V+Ctrl+P", then just "Ctrl+P", the CLI evaluates it with 

% Bad IP address or host name
% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address

in return

Thanks for the info about cli_read, the async option would have been very handy 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: