Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Highlighted

Event Manager Applet ISDN down not working

For a Voice IOS Router I have configured an event manager applet to send an email to a specific account if ISDN issues occur. I am not sure if I configured it correctly but I am sure it does not work, we are testing by unplugging the cable from router. The firewall ports should be open and allow traffic. 

event manager applet ISDNdown010

event syslog pattern "Interface serial0/1/0:15, changed state to administratively down"

action Send_Mail mail server "inet.xx.xxx.com" to "xx.xxx@dk.xxx.com" from "xxx-xxx-xxx05" subject "ISDN NEDE, VGW XXX-XXX-XXX05" body "InterfaceSerial0/1/0:15 er nede. Tjek ISDN linie." port 25

Do any of you have experience with this type of setup. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Event Manager Applet ISDN down not working

Based on your regex pattern, unplugging the cable will not be an adequate test.  Your pattern matches on administratively down, so you would need to do a "shutdown" on the port to generate this syslog.

Therefore, the first thing to do is change the pattern to "...changed state to down".

You also used a lowercase 's' in the Serial interface name.  Regular expressions are case-sensitive.  So you must match the syslog case exactly.  This will need to be an uppercase 'S'.

Finally, you should consider using an IP address for your SMTP server.  Even if you have DNS configured on the device, there have been issues with stuck lookups.  An IP gets around that.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Based on your regex pattern, unplugging the cable will not be an adequate test.  Your pattern matches on administratively down, so you would need to do a "shutdown" on the port to generate this syslog.

Therefore, the first thing to do is change the pattern to "...changed state to down".

You also used a lowercase 's' in the Serial interface name.  Regular expressions are case-sensitive.  So you must match the syslog case exactly.  This will need to be an uppercase 'S'.

Finally, you should consider using an IP address for your SMTP server.  Even if you have DNS configured on the device, there have been issues with stuck lookups.  An IP gets around that.

Joe, Thanks for your quick reply; I will try with this and update the post as soon as check can occur; 

event manager applet ISDNdown010
event syslog pattern "Interface Serial0/1/0:15, changed state to down"
action Send_Mail mail server "10.51.X.XX" to "XXXX.XXXXX@dk.XXX.com" from "XXXX-XXX-XXX05@dk.XXX.com" subject "ISDN NEDE, VGW DKSKD-MET-WAR05"
body "Interface Serial0/1/0:15 er nede. Tjek ISDN linie."

Cisco Employee

My meta-point was that you should test the disconnect and look at the syslog message that is actually generated.  Make sure your regex matches that.  Keep the pattern simple but unambiguous.

Meta-Point taken. It works now. Thanks a lot! 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content