cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Low router memory alert by email

stephendrkw
Level 3
Level 3

Been new to EEM, I would like my router to trigger email alerts when memory threshold is reached say 90%  in real time on my ASR1002 router.

My SNMP polls are just not fast enough and are not providing me with accurate information.

Does anyone know a good start!

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

By the time the router's memory and/or CPU has peaked to 90%, there's very little chance for the router to notify, via email, of impending danger.  

90% was just an example  but something like 70-80% is feasible? I can't imagine the router working at 70% would be unable to trigger an alert. I would expect the processes to be still running, even the router would be working extremely hard.

but something like 70-80% is feasible?

That'll work.  

Thanks!

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EEM doesn't have any magic.  It uses the same interfaces you would use manually to get the data.  That is, it will rely on CLI or SNMP to grab the memory info.  Yes, it has less overhead in terms of network latency, but it will take some additional on-box memory to execute the policy to grab the memory stats. 

In other words, you'll need to test your results using EEM to see if they give you real-time enough stats.  In practice, TAC uses EEM with SNMP to look for memory leaks and gather forensic data, and this does work well.  It will really depend on what exactly you want to do once you recognize the threshold violation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: