cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Time based and/or rate-limiting EEM email actions

mitchen
Level 2
Level 2

On a Cisco887VAG+7-K9 router, I'm using IP SLA and EEM to track connectivity via my ADSL line, if connectivity is UP then the 3G interface is admin shutdown and if ADSL connectivity is down then the 3G interface is brought up so it can take over.  This all works quite well.   I also have the EEM applet configured to send an email to alert me if the router fails over to 3G and another email when it returns to ADSL.  Again, this all works well but ffor a couple of minor problems I was hoping someone might know how to address:

The main problem I have is that I'm not really fussed about hearing of any problems overnight - I only want to be alerted to any ADSL/3G changes during the working day - I still want the 3G failover to take place if needed overnight, I just don't want to be emailed about it.   So, is it possible to time-control the email aspect of the EEM script?   i.e. can I still have it perform the rest of the actions of the script but only send emails during the working day?

The other issue is when I have a constantly flapping ADSL line - so the connection flaps between activating ADSL and 3G and each time it sends an alert, potentially generating a lot of emails.

Is there a way to rate limit the emails sent so that if an event happens continuously within a set time period, I won't constantly get emailed about it?  Again, I want the actual activating/deactivating of the 3G interface itself to take place as it is now - I just don't want to be continually emailed about it.

Does that make sense and, if so, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might achieve this?

Thanks! 

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: