Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

When average factor is specified, why entry-type / exit-type must be 'rate' ??

My requirement is to trigger an event when the interface Rx utilization shoots over 50 % averaged over 30 secs. I can think of two possible ways of doing this with EEM applet:

1.  event interface name GigabitEthernet0/0 parameter rxload entry-op ge entry-val 128 entry-type value poll-interval 1 average-factor 30

2. event interface name GigabitEthernet0/0 parameter receive_rate_bps entry-op ge entry-val 500000000 entry-type rate average-factor 30 poll-interval 1

The first one doesn't seem to work because EEM requires entry-type be 'rate' when average-factor is specified.

I would also like to know how rxload and txload parameters are calculated. How often the byte counters are sampled to calculate rxload/txload values ?

• EEM Scripting
Everyone's tags (3)
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

When average factor is specified, why entry-type / exit-type mus

The txload and rxload are calculated based on the per-interface load-interval.  You can configured this down to 30 seconds:

int gi0/0

load-interval 30

Then just use:

event interface name name gi0/0 parameter rxload entry-op ge entry-val 128 entry-type value poll-interval 30

Re: When average factor is specified, why entry-type / exit-type

Considering load-interval to be 30.

How is the calculation done ?

[ifInOctets(t+30) ~ ifInOctects(t)]*8 / [30*ifSpeed] quantized to 8 bit value

(or)

Moving average of latest 30 samples - sampled every second ?

I see almost immediate change in txload and rxload values as soon as I change the interface bandwidth using the bandwidth command under the interface. So, I am wondering how the exact calculation is done ?

If the requirement is to take action based on the average of say 5 recent values that exceed 128, How can we do this with EEM applet ?

Cisco Employee

Re: When average factor is specified, why entry-type / exit-type

I haven't looked at this in a long time, but as I recall, this is a decaying exponential average calculated over the load-interval.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.