Views
Helpful
Replies

Alt-Mailhost / SMTP Routes Question...

ChrisLord09
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a query on SMTP routing when using the Alt-Mailhost command in a Message Filter...

Our configuration in overview is two Ironport devices (C650's at AsyncOS 6.4) at separate sites, configured as a cluster (all config is common across sites). At each site, there also exists a 3rd party mail host.

So, I have a message filter which selects messages based on some criteria and I also know which Ironport received it. When I have a match, I want to route this message to the 3rd party mail host on the _local_ site......but if that mail host is down, I want to route it to the 3rd party mail host on the other site. Simple as that!

At the moment, my Alt-Mailhost command looks like this;

<message has been selected> {

<if "Site A" Ironport used> {

alt-mailhost('bogusdomain1.net');

}

<else>{

alt-mailhost('bogusdomain2.net');

}

...in my SMTP Routes I'd _like_ to have this;

bogusdomain1.net     <3rd-Party-Box-at-Site-A>, <3rd-Party-Box-at-Site-B>

bogusdomain2.net     <3rd-Party-Box-at-Site-B>, <3rd-Party-Box-at-Site-A>

...but this doesn't work because multiple hosts in an SMTP route are tried in numerical / alphabetical order...no matter what order you put them into the SMTP Route definition (is this a bug?)....so in reality, they both have to look like this;

bogusdomain1.net     <3rd-Party-Box-at-Site-A>, <3rd-Party-Box-at-Site-B>

bogusdomain2.net     <3rd-Party-Box-at-Site-A>, <3rd-Party-Box-at-Site-B>

..which is no use.

My only other idea is that I could just have this in the SMTP Routes for those domains;

bogusdomain1.net     USEDNS

bogusdomain2.net     USEDNS

...and configure my DNS with the above domains, such that there really _is_ a difference in the order of the MX for those domains.

So my question is, how can I do this without using 'USEDNS' and the associated DNS config...i.e. just via the Ironport devices?

Hope the collective can help!

Cheers, Chris.

2 Replies 2

spangler79
Level 1
Level 1

Check out the latest release notes...

Enhanced: Prioritized SMTP Routes
AsyncOS 7.0 allows you to prioritize the destination hosts for your SMTP routes. AsyncOS will attempt to deliver the message to a destination host in order based on priority. Destinations with identical priority will be used in a “round-robin” fashion.

Aha!.. thanks Chris I will go check that out....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: