cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anti-spoofing rule

jack_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to create a antispoofing rule using message filter feature.

It is like

if ( header("from") == "@*mydomain\\.com$" ) { apply anti-spoofing rules here; }

But the rough part is to be able to whitelist certain hosts, e.g., our partners.

For example:

AND ( header("Received") != "whitelist1|whitelist2...." )

Is there a better way to do this? My concern is that this will get very long and error prone over time.

Thanks,
Jack

5 Replies 5

sseinfosec
Level 1
Level 1

I think the question is "what are you trying to achieve?"

jaigill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What if you add all your partner ip addresses/domains to a sendergroup called 'partner_whitelist'.

Next, you can modify your existing filter to bypass spoofing checks from partner domains:

if (( header("from") == "@*mydomain\\.com$" ) AND (sendergroup != 'partner_whitelist'))
{ apply anti-spoofing rules here; }

dbeste_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

I would also have a look at Knowledge Base Article 115. this describes some of the risks and gives a short explanation. You will find a short filter, too.

Dirk

jack_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

I forget to mention these boxes are not internet facing. Has anyone tried to use the dictionary?

jaigill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dictionary matching should work as well.

This following example matches an email address in the “to” header and blind copies an administrator:

headerTest:
if (header-dictionary-match ('', 'to')){
bcc('administrator@example.com');
}

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: