Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Attach rar file in the mail

My company IronPort has limited outgoing mail attachment size to 13MB. Recently, I found that when I send a mail attached with a rar file (10MB), the IronPort has detected the message size is over 13MB. Actually, the message body contains few words and the attachment size is around 10MB.

I don't understand why when I attach a rar file in the mail. the mail size will be increased around 33%. I also tried sending rar in yahoo mail and got the same results. Do anybody know the reason??

4 Replies 4

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Binary files must be BASE64 encoded before being sent via e-mail. BASE64 is a 6-in-8 encoding, meaning that the file size is increased by 33%. The RAR file may be only 10 MB sitting on your disk, but it's 13.3 MB once it has been encoded for transit.

I've got it. Thank you very much.

Have a question here:

Let's say I want to completely remove executable, and I have policy to strip attachment file type executable.

How can I also strip the attachment if the executable is compressed (.zip or .rar)?

Will IronPort be able to detect? By binary?

Thanks,
ezekiel

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

How can I also strip the attachment if the executable is compressed (.zip or .rar)?

This is a complicated question. A message filter can peek inside archive files, but not compressed solitary files. In other words, a .exe file inside a ZIP archive can be detected. But a .exe file that has been gzipped (file.exe.gz), will not be detected.

The full explanation is in the "Policy Enforcement" chapter of the Advanced User Guide.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: