Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attachments with no Extensions

We have a requirement that any emails to a specific domain with certain attachments will be required to be blocked. The problem is, most of these attachments have no file extension. Anyone have a creative way to include this into an attachment rule? I also need to add pdf, doc, xls, etc.

Thanks

6 REPLIES

Re: Attachments with no Extensions

Hi madhour,

Could you provide with some examples as to what these attachments are and their file types. Your second part of the question should be achieved through content or message filters.

-Kishore

No file extension

They are pretty much text files that were created from our iSeries. They just don't have a file extension such as file2009.txt. They are just file2009. I have a rule to catch everything else, but just don't know how to catch non-extension files.

Re: Attachments with no Extensions

Would it be possible to create a filter looking at the mimetype instead of filename. at least this way the filter will always recognize an attachment with or without the extension on the end. :D

Re: No file extension

They are pretty much text files that were created from our iSeries.  They just don't have a file extension such as file2009.txt.

Hmmm, you may be able to use a regular expression:

if (attachment-filename == "^[^.]+$")

That will match any filename that does not contain a dot.

if (attachment-filename == "^[^.]+\.$")

That will match any filename that ends with a dot.

mime type

I took advise from a previous post and used attachment-mimetype == "application/*"

Re: mime type

I took advise from a previous post and used attachment-mimetype == "application/*"

Yes, I saw that after I posted, since your note to that effect ended up in a separate topic.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content