Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup/Restore machine on Centralized Management

Hi,

I have 2 c300 with Centralized Management.

I need to saveconfig of the two appliance and to be able to loadconfig if both appliance fail in the same time.

I need to saveconfig at machine level and not the cluster configuration.

thanks.

5 Replies 5

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

No can do, unfortunately. A saveconfig on a clustered unit saves the entire cluster configuration.

bfayne_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 c300 with Centralized Management.

I need to saveconfig of the two appliance and to be able to loadconfig if both appliance fail in the same time.

I need to saveconfig at machine level and not the cluster configuration.

thanks.

Saveconfig on a clustered appliance is actually not supported because of the number of changes to the config.

All you need to do is remove each appliance from the cluster, do a saveconfig, and then add them back to the cluster. As long as you do this one at a time and don't change any settings while the system is out of the cluster, it should be pretty easy to do.

Then if you ever need to do a loadconfig, the system will not be clustered, but the config settings will all be the same. Rebuilding the cluster will then be a simple task.

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

All you need to do is remove each appliance from the cluster, do a saveconfig, and then add them back to the cluster.

Wish I had thought of that. :?

I think it's worth pointing out that you actually have to disassemble the cluster to make this work. This is not the same as simply disconnecting the cluster. A disconnected cluster is still a cluster, it just isn't staying synchronized. The members of the cluster still know that they're in a cluster. You have to take each node out of the cluster entirely and make it a standalone unit, then reconnect it after dumping its config.

bfayne_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

All you need to do is remove each appliance from the cluster, do a saveconfig, and then add them back to the cluster.

Wish I had thought of that. :?

I think it's worth pointing out that you actually have to disassemble the cluster to make this work. This is not the same as simply disconnecting the cluster. A disconnected cluster is still a cluster, it just isn't staying synchronized. The members of the cluster still know that they're in a cluster. You have to take each node out of the cluster entirely and make it a standalone unit, then reconnect it after dumping its config.

Yes, you need to do a "removemachine"...but only for one machine at a time. You don't have to tear down the entire cluster.

You are correct that the "removemachine" command will work but "disconnect" will not return a system to stand-alone mode. :)

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you need to do a "removemachine"...but only for one machine at a time.  You don't have to tear down the entire cluster.

Right. I should have said "partially disassemble." I had hoped that my last sentence sufficiently clarified the point:

You have to take each node out of the cluster entirely and make it a standalone unit, then reconnect it after dumping its config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: