Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice for migrating from C160 to C370

impactbssb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I am upgrading from C160 to C370. I have lots of policies and filtering created in C160. How do I migrate all the configuration and policies to my new box?

Hope someone can advise me.

Thanks.

Winston

13 Replies 13

Andreas Mueller
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Winston,

you should not have any problems migrating your configuration to the new box, basically all you have to do is to bring both appiances to the same version of AsyncOS, then safe the configuration of the C160 with unmasked(!) passwords (default is to mask them, so make sure you uncheck that option, otherwise the config will not upload), then upload the configuration to the C370, submit and commit to activate it.

It's as easy as that, the only requirement you'd have to follow is that the AsyncOS version is the same on both boxes, and the config contains unmasked passwords.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your advice.

How about the policies from C160, it will be migrated as well?

Best regards

Winston Chai

(Sent from my iPhone)

Hello Winston,

the configuration contains everything you can configure on an appliance, i.e. listeners, policies, filters, quarantines, smtp routes, destination controls, reporting and tracking settings....  So the new system will have the exact same configuration than the old one. The only thing you'd have to configure manually are the interfaces on the new appliance, this is to prevent that two appliances use the same IP address after uploading the configuration file.

Regards,

Andreas

We have a cluster of two C160 appliances. Can we add a new C370 appliance as a 3rd node in the cluster and are the nodes able to share the same clustered configuration, even one node is running different hardware?

Or could we buy two C370 boxes, shutdown one old C160, import configuration of that closed C160 node into a new C370, and then close another old C160 and replace that with a new C370 as well? So no ip address changes, no MX record changes and no ip routing or firewall openings would be required to upgrade cluster set to much more powerful set of C370 boxes?

Guys,

I tried to import the configuration directly from C160 and C370 (running 7.1.5-017) and it encountered a lot of errors such as DB size mismatch and etc.

First error is the interface error.

Hence, I have to do it the more painful way by comparing the C160 xml and C370 xml and manually change the C160 configuration to be able to import by C370.

hi Winston Chai,

both models were got the same Asyns OS version? If not then that would be your problem, Because you cannot migrate from C160 to C370, unless if they are on the same version, then export into xml format then install it to the C370...

I am in the process of migrating from two C160 appliances to two C180 appliances.  After reading the posts above it sounds like i should be able to import the config correct?  In doing so does this not change any the IP interfaces?  The reason I ask is that my old boxes are still in production and I am using new IPs for the new boxes.  I do not want to have IP conflicts and I also don't want to lose management to my new box.  What are my options?  I can also update the XML config with changes and then import it?  What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks,

Alex

If they are at the same version of code, you have a couple of ways you can do it:

1. Get the new boxes on the net with valid IPs, etc and configure them as a cluster, making sure to add the 160s to the cluster first.  When you add then 180s, they'll get the config MINUS ip stuff...  Then remove the 160s from the cluster and you're set...

2. Export the config, edit the XML to remove the network config.  Import it to the 180s.

Thanks for your response Ken.  I have checked and the old and new boxes are both running 8.5.6-092.  I am not entirely sure what you mean by option 1.  My initial plan was to test everything on the new boxes while still having the old boxes up.  When I export the config i need to show passwords correct?  What about the certificate info?  Will that get all messed up?  Also, where does the IP information stop (what do i need to delete)?

Alex  

Part 1: Clustering is covered in the help file...

Yes, show passwords, certs SHOULD come over, but make sure you have it somewhere in case it complains.

Look at the xml file, it has comments that mark sections of the file, remove the Network Configuration section.

Sounds good I will remove the network config and import the file.  Hopefully I dont run into issues with our production boxes, since they will still be used until the new boxes are tested.  Also, I assume i could copy parts of the config and just enter them in the configuration box rather than just importing the entire XML file if I desire?

Please advise.

Yep, that's how it supposed to work.  I haven't done that, though I have done parts of a file before...

If I am pasting in the config I assume I can't just pick and choose sections?  When I do I get error messages such as Configuration file was not loaded. ERROR: Element 'bounce_verification' not declared at Unknown:1:21

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: