Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C150 demo lab - help required on straightforward issue

Hi all

I am new to IronPort administration, and am trying to set up a C150 in a demo/lab environment.

I have the C150 up and running and able to reach the internet via port 80 (able to update the AsyncOS, for example).

However I do not have mail traffic flowing through the appliance, which would obviously enable me to demonstrate the filtering, reporting capabilities and so on. The mail doesn't need to be live or genuine - simply traffic to demonstrate/learn the features.

I don't have any email infrastructure, and wondered how I can easily generate the required SMTP traffic?

A suggestion made by a colleague was to create the traditional infrastructure using Exchange on VMware. Is there any other way to achieve the simulation of email?

Any help gratefully recieved!

Cheers
Andy

3 Replies 3

pvdberg00
Level 1
Level 1

Andy,

With the telnet command you can generate mail from inside.
Is there allready a MX record defined pointing to the machine otherwise you can generate mail via http://www.zoneedit.com/smtp.html?

Peter

Andy,
you can try the postal tool to generate random mail. That tool is also fine for a stress test.

More information here: www.coker.com.au/postal/

Joerg

After I did some self-generated SMTP traffic to our demo unit, I actually set the MX record for my personal domains at the appliance. I figured it was the only way I was going to get a real scenario with the IronPort appliance during the demo period without interfering with our existing environment. Even though I get far less email to my domains than my employer gets, I was convinced that the appliance worked as well as IronPort claimed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: