Views
Helpful
Replies

Choosing the outgoing interface

Netnux
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I have a (two) C160 mail security appliance with the following network configuration .

1 phisical interface

2 IP interfaces, let's say 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101

2 Listeners. "Public" (192.168.1.100) and "private" (192.168.1.101).

Mails flow is working great, but we are having a problem with the outgoing email traffic.

Our email server sends outgoing traffic to the ironport appliances (DMZ) on the private listener.

The ironport relay emails from that address.

Isn't possible to have the ironport to take the messages from the "private" listener and then send them out from the "public" listener?

Many thanks for you precious help.

Giovanni

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andreas Mueller
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Giovanni,

listeners are for receiving only, so I suppose you mean the messages coming from private listeners should be delivered via the interface with IP 192.168.1.100. You can do that with an outbound content filter,  simply create such a filter without any condition, and a single action "Deliver from IP Interface", where you specify the interface 192.168.1.100. Submit, and add them to all you outgoing mail policies, then commit.  In case you want to do that with message filters (if familiar with them), then you'd also need a condition checking for the listeners, as message filters don't differ between inbound and outbound (relayed) messages.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Andreas Mueller
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Giovanni,

listeners are for receiving only, so I suppose you mean the messages coming from private listeners should be delivered via the interface with IP 192.168.1.100. You can do that with an outbound content filter,  simply create such a filter without any condition, and a single action "Deliver from IP Interface", where you specify the interface 192.168.1.100. Submit, and add them to all you outgoing mail policies, then commit.  In case you want to do that with message filters (if familiar with them), then you'd also need a condition checking for the listeners, as message filters don't differ between inbound and outbound (relayed) messages.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

ummm... I don't like very much thinking to use a "content" filter to force the mailflow.

It sounds as a workaround to me.

But what to say.. It is a great workaround! :-)

I just tried it and it works great!

Mail are out from the wanted interface.

THANK YOU very much for the trick

My best regards,

Giovanni