cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Email Security Plug-in - Doesn't seem to work with right click or save and send

Starla Rivers
Level 1
Level 1

I've searched the knowledge base but have not located the answer yet.

We have the Encrypt Message plug-in installed to flag the email [SEND SECURE].  This works very well when in Outlook.  It does not seem to work when right clicking a file to send outside of Outlook or performing Save and Send from within Microsoft Office.  The add-in still shows and users are clicking it and the Send button but the emails are not going securely.  We are on Microsoft2010 on mostly XP machines.

How can I get Encrypt Message to work in all instances?

Thank you.

Starla

7 Replies 7

Greg Hopp
Level 1
Level 1

It would be nice if Ironport would pay some attention to this (minor) facet of the application.  I was told by Ironport basically that "whatever functionality you get out of it, that's all there is.  Sorry."

I am dissappointed they have not addressed this better, as my users have to remember a special code word in the header of the email to encrypt it and we all know how good users can be sometimes.

This feature does not work at all on Outlook 2003 & Windows 7 Pro 64 FWIW.  I can only hope it works properly on Win7 & Exchange 2010 when we get there.

Good luck Starla,

Greg

It is even worse now because my users see the button on the ribbon and follow the standard procedures just as they would if they were performing the action within Outlook.  As far as they know, they are fully compliant.  So having the button display when the action won't be taken is worse than no button at all in these scenarios.

Crossing fingers for a meaningful, workable solution....

Starla

Hello Starla, Greg,

just checked the release notes, and we actually have this tracked as a defect (65392). Problem is that the behavior is related to a "bug" in Windows, where right click -> Send To -> Mail Recipient does not submit specific Outlook events:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;916656

It's addressed somewhat in the newest version of the pluging (7.2) but only by removing the options that don't work within the right click menu. I agree this nothing you are asking for, but then again, the Micosoft specificly states that "Mail Recipient" has only a limited functionality.

Regards,

Andreas

Starla Rivers
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, Andreas.

But when I try to find Email Security Plug-in 7.2 for a C360, nothing comes up.  I only see C370 and C650 and the site won't let me download those.

Starla

Hello Starla,

the plugin works for all appliances, no matter where you download it from. Do you get any error when trying to download?

Regards,

Andreas

Andreas

I am getting an error.  See below for what I'm choosing and the response.  let me know if I'm supposed to be trying to download from another area.

Thanks

Starla

Cisco IronPort Email Security Appliance C370

Release:IPAS

Filename: CiscoEmailSecurity_7-2-0-039.exe

Remove

Details

Release

IPAS

Filename

CiscoEmailSecurity_7-2-0-039.exe

Release Date

25/Oct/2011

Description

Cisco IronPort Email Security Plug-in (Outlook)

Size

32541.84375 KB (33322848 bytes)

Router Checksum

0x553f

MD5

f0c864697d9e1a3e8f5297062943ac50

Save the device to 'My Added Devices' list

More Info

'My Added Devices' list could be found by: 1. Clicking on 'My Cisco' Tab and expanding
    the 'Added Devices' section. 2. Selecting any task specific product
   selector and clicking on 'My Added
    Devices' in left pane.

Set Cisco Notification Alert

More Info

All 'Cisco Notification Alerts' list could be found
by: 1. Clicking on 'My Cisco' Tab and expanding
    the 'Support Notifications' section.

Cisco service contract information indicates you are not authorized to download software for the following product(s):

• Cisco IronPort Email Security Appliance C170
  • Cisco IronPort Email Security Appliance C370
  • Cisco IronPort Email Security Appliance C650

To download software for other product(s), remove the software for the product(s) listed above.

Or, if you feel this message is in error, please:

1. Email technical support for 24x7 assistance. To expedite your request, please include the following information:
         User ID (Cisco.com ID used to download software)
         Contact Name
         Company Name
         Contract Number
         Product ID
         Desired Software Release or File Name

2. Contact your Cisco Representative, Partner or Reseller to ensure product(s) listed above are covered on a service contract. The Partner Locator link may assist in locating your nearest partner.

3. Associate contracts for those products to your Cisco.com profile using the Instructions found in Profile Manager. After you submit your additional contracts, verification and updates may take up to 6 hours to complete.

Hello Starla,

weird, cannot find anything wrong on the download pages. Sorry that you're having problems with that though,  could you open a ticket with support for this please? They can provide you the plugin from a different source as well.

Regards,

Andreas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: