Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA C170 Oubound Configuration Only

Homer.Simpson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All:

Is is possible to use ESA for Outbound mail only? I do not want to have Inbound mail coming into the ESA appliance, but instead leave Inbound mail as is coming into my Exchange Edge server. I only want to use Outbound mail leaving my Exchange Edge server to funnel through ESA C170 for DLP and Encyption purposes. By doing this method I want to make sure that I do not have to change my MX Records. Is this all possible? If so, what steps do I need to take? I can't seem to find any supporting articles or discussions on this matter. Much thanks!                  

4 Replies 4

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes - this would be.  You would need to assure that you have a Sender Group specified in your HAT, with the IP address listed in the Sender List - that way the mail will be treated as outbound, or relayed.  As long as that would be in place - the mail should catch and filter through the Outbound Mail Policy - then, just assure you have DLP enabled & content filters, etc., for any mails you are expecting to trip and encrypt as needed.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

(*If you have received the answer to your original question, and found this helpful/correct - please mark the question as answered, and be sure to leave a rating to reflect!)

I have a similar-if not same, situation with a C100V ESAv. I want to setup a outbound configuration only as well. But rather than have all outbound traffic flow through the C100V, can I just setup a policy that when triggered (via #secure# added to the subject line) routes the outbound email through the C100V? All other outbound emails would continue to go through our front end Exchange Server.

Is this possible?

Hello thegameq,

If my understanding is correct then as per your requirement, I believe you are talking about routing certain emails from your Exchange server to ESA C100V.
If that is the case, then there is nothing much we can do on ESA as we can control only emails coming to ESA appliance.

Only one thing I can think of is by directing all emails to ESA appliance first then create a policy for certain outbound emails to be sent via ESA and the remaining emails to be directed back to the exchange.

Please do let me know if the above is in accordance with your requirement then I can help to further.

BR,
Pratham

Hello,

Just to add to Robert's explanation above, you need to make sure that you bind "Relayed" mail flow policy to the Sendergroup in which you specify the IP address of your Exchange edge server. This way any email hitting the Sendergroup will be treated as an outbound email.

I hope this adds more clarity to great explanation provided by Robert above :)

BR,
Pratham
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: