Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does SMA send alerts

Hi

I have seen few discussions about this topic, but all remain unanswered. How does SMA/ESA/WSA send alert emails? When we type "alertconfig"it allows us to configure the "FROM" address and the mail recipients that will be receiving the alerts and also other specific timers. We don't see any option to configure a SMTP Server. Does it use internet access to send the emails? We are trying to troubleshoot an issue where administrators don't receive email alerts from SMA, but we don't know how it relays this alerts. Appreciate any information about it.

3 Replies 3

ESA has a stack of routes for email (because that's what it does) under Network/SMTP Routes

WSA has a setting under Network/Internal SMTP Relay

SMA has a setting under Network/SMTP Routes

Thank you Ken.

But, does the SMA use its Management interface to send the Alert? (I assume Smtproute lets us point to an IP:Port) should we point to our ESA in order to relay that email to an external mail box?

Yes, since most of the time the SMA is only using one active interface.

But if you have more than one active, it may choose whichever interface makes more sense from a routing perspective.

I have seen questions/comments about that, so if it's coming out of an interface you don't want it to, you may need to get TAC involved to see if that can be changed (I'm not sure that it can...)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: