Views
Helpful
Replies

Incoming connection lost. Message xxxx aborted: Receiving aborted

james.mixson
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I am seeing an issue with certain senders whereas they send an email and during the transmission the connection is lost.  The message details on the C150 show this:

30 Mar 2010 11:30:53 (GMT -04:00) Protocol SMTP interface Public (IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) on incoming connection (ICID 12165085) from sender IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Reverse DNS host mail.blahblah.com verified yes.
30 Mar 2010 11:30:53 (GMT -04:00) (ICID 12165085) ACCEPT sender group WHITELIST match xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx SBRS 5.3
30 Mar 2010 11:31:46 (GMT -04:00) Start message 1330008 on incoming connection (ICID 12165085).
30 Mar 2010 11:31:46 (GMT -04:00) Message 1330008 enqueued on incoming connection (ICID 12165085) from jblow@blahblah.com.
30 Mar 2010 11:31:46 (GMT -04:00) Message 1330008 on incoming connection (ICID 12165085) added recipient (me@mycompany.com).
30 Mar 2010 11:43:20 (GMT -04:00) Incoming connection (ICID 12165085) lost.
30 Mar 2010 11:43:20 (GMT -04:00) Message 1330008 aborted: Receiving aborted

As you can see I've tried WHITELISTing the domain (even though their SBRS is good).  I've also PCAP'd during the transmission of a couple of test emails.  One with an attachment (21MB) and one without.  I receive the email without the attachment.  The email with an attachment almost always loses the connection.  Here is the twist:  This only happens on nonsolicited email.  If the sender replies to an email it will transmit without incident.  Also, it is happening to more than one person at this particular domain.

PCAP shows that it is during the DATA fragmenting of the attachment that is loses a segment and starts a Retransmission of which it ACKs.  This happens serveral times before the IronPort gives a Receiving aborted about 15mins later.

Have any of you seen this before?  Any suggestions?

This has to be resolved for me as the sender domain is our sister company.

TIA,

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The last few lines of the injection debug would be interesting to see if it's possible to post it here because it sounds like the data stops sending and eventually times out. The clue is probably in the injection log. I guess you could send me a private message also.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

spangler79
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend creating an Injection Debug Log for this sending IP address to capture the data flow. Perhaps the sending MTA is issuing . incorrectly and terminating the data segment. Although if this was happening you would probably also see "too many bad commands" erros also.

Chris,

Injectioin Debug has been on for a couple of days for that domain.  It's not telling me all that much.

The last few lines of the injection debug would be interesting to see if it's possible to post it here because it sounds like the data stops sending and eventually times out. The clue is probably in the injection log. I guess you could send me a private message also.

Chris,

The issue has been resolved (bandaided) for the time being.  The Dedicated Fuse is over-saturated during peak hours causing the receiving of emails with attachments to timeout.  I adjusted the Total Time Length of all Inbound Connections to 1 hour.  This allowed us to receive the emails.  The over utilization was caused by our web filter appliance being down and the users going crazy on the Net.  Since then I have the web filter rebuilt and utilization should be coming back down.  After that I will adjust the TTL for Inbound again and all will be good.

Thanks for your help Chris!

*Since you were the only one to reply, you get the "Correct Answer"

Hi James

I have the same issue of Incoming connection lost. Message xxxx aborted: Receiving aborted, could you teach me how to adjust the setting? thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: