cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPsec on AsyncOS

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Judging from the complete lack of any mention of the term "IPsec" in both the product manuals and the Knowledge Base, I think it's pretty safe to say that AsyncOS has no IPsec support. Might any of the IronPort folks here care to comment on if/when this might change?

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

100% correct. No IPSEC on the IronPorts.

I also haven't seen it on the roadmap.

Best Regards,

Mark

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Last time I looked, AsyncOS was based on FreeBSD, which has IPsec support built in. I suppose building a suitable interface for configuring it, and then dealing with the support issues that IPsec can cause are the main reasons for not having exposed this functionality (along with a lack of customer demand, no doubt).

Anyway, I'm just curious. IPsec might be a way we could solve some internal problems we're facing, but there are other possibilities.

True ... but disabled in the kernel. No interfaces sorry.

We have not seen many request for ipsec yet.

Cheers,

Mark

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

[quote:b17cc167d1="Mark [CSE]"]We have not seen many request for ipsec yet.
I figured as much.

mark_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Could you elaborate on the what internal problems you are trying to solve that need IPSec? I'd like to understand the use model for needing it.

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

We're having a hard time finding an SNMP monitoring console that meets all our needs. One of the areas in which some of them fail is lack of support for proper security. One idea we had was to use IPsec for the security instead of depending on SNMP to provide it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: