Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Ironport Question reg custom domains

I'm hoping someone can help me understand the capabilities or limitations of Ironport. I work in an environment where another department owns and operates the mail relay operations, so I have no access to the device or support to advise or dispute what they are saying.

Situation: We have a closed application environment which uses a custom defined domain (foo.bar, host1.foo.bar, host2.foo.bar, exporter.foo.bar)  We have a system that sends email out to the real world (exporter.foo.bar) and its outgoing relay is the ironport appliance.  The problem is, when a remote mail site is down or bounces the email, the ironport does not know where to send the bounce message because it doesn't know how to send to exporter.foo.bar.

Problem: the admins for this ironport appliance report that it is impossible to configure it to send to exporter.foo.bar because "bar" isn't a "valid" domain (eg: .com, .net, .edu, etc...)  

Can someone confirm if this is true or not? Is the Ironport so tightly integrated with LDAP, or AD, or some flavor of Mickysoft DNS that you can't simply add a mailertable type entry to send email destined for "foo.bar" to a particular IP address?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not true.

Under Network>SMTP Routes there needs to be an entry for example.foo.bar to direct mail traffic to a mailhost for that domain.

There may be other things that they haven't configed or have misconfiged that need looking at..

2 REPLIES

Not true.

Under Network>SMTP Routes there needs to be an entry for example.foo.bar to direct mail traffic to a mailhost for that domain.

There may be other things that they haven't configed or have misconfiged that need looking at..

Community Member

Thank you!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content