Views
Helpful
Replies

Mail Flow Central - Slowness and database issues

MikeK_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
My MFC database is about 220 gig, keeping 45 days of data. It is running on a large system (Quad XEON Processor HP ML 570, with 6 Spindals for the data drive) and it still gets so busy it shuts down MySql.

Support keeps telling me to index the tables, but they are indexed, and I keep getting errors.

Is anyone else having issues?

Anybody with a database this size or larger?

Thanks,
Mike

4 Replies 4

Erich_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

From our experience the performance issues with MFC are around the purge process.

Our ugly work around was to set the purge date to 3 months our and to start over with a clean database every 2 months or so. Effective the purge never happens, we wipe and recreate. Like I said it is an ugly kludge. Eight weeks of data ends up being about a 512GB size database in our environment.

Long-term I think MFC has to go to a rolling partitioned table solution, based on date. So then the purge process can be done more efficiently at the partition level.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/partitioning-types.html

- Erich

mgraci_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

I do not use MFC yet and based upon what I have been hearing, I am in no hurry.

I just wish we could get more traffic detail on the actual box.

At minimum let me set the time period to look at the data that is already displayed via the GUI instead of only Hour, Day, Week, Month. For example I want to see the Incoming info on IP x.x.x.x from 06:30 to 07:10 am this morning.

-Matt

I think using 'grep' from the command line will give you some basic output.

supported flags:
grep -e regexp [-e regexp] [-i] [-p] [-t] log_name

shannon.hagan
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried the reporting api? You can specify a time period and the data comes back in csv format.

I do not use MFC yet and based upon what I have been hearing,  I am in no hurry.

I just wish we could get more traffic detail on the actual box.

At minimum let me set the time period to look at the data that is already displayed via the GUI instead of only Hour, Day, Week, Month. For example I want to see the Incoming info on IP x.x.x.x from 06:30 to 07:10 am this morning.

-Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: