cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Message Interruption

mdieken011
Level 1
Level 1

Over night our incomming e-mail stopped being received at around 16:00 CST.  I suspect the messages were sitting on the Ironport ESA.  Somehow this morning e-mail started to be delivered at about 9:36 CST.  Is there some way to determine from the Ironport what could have been the issue.  As soon as we started to look at it messages started to be received.

5 Replies 5

Look at the headers of the messages you got, especially the earliest ones.... Look at the headers and see where they sat.

Did they get received by the ESA but then not delivered to your mail system for hours? Or did they sit at the far end waiting for the ESA to actually take mail?

The best that I can tell is they sat on the ESA until the MS Exchange server started to accept the messages.  Unfortunately it started working again without us making any changes or being able to identify the cause.  The header isn't conclusive other than there is a delay in when the ESA get's the message and the Exchange server receives it.  I was hoping I could find in the logs where the ESA tried to deliver and any errors if any.

There are a few ways to track this down.

Easiest is to go to the GUI, click on Monitor/Message tracking and search for a message that got delayed.

Note the MID

For this issue, I'd go to System Administration/Log Subscriptions, find the mail logs, and if FTP is enabled, you can download the mail log for the time period this event happened.

Then using Notepad++ (free download) open the mail log file, find the MID, it will you'll also see logs for for the incoming connection (ICID) and delivery (DCID)

The DCID entries for this message may tell you what it was encountering as it tried to talk to Exchange...

Thanks for the reply Ken!  The DCID entries don't start until after a delay of some time.  I suspect our Exchange server had an issue that caused this.  I will look in the Exchange server logs.

Hello Mdieken011,

A useful command you can use in the CLI if accessible is:

grep -i "domain:name of the recipient domain" mail_logs

So for example if you were seeing delays to gmail.com, you can run grep -i "domain: gmail.com" mail_logs

It would show you all DCID attempts that may have failed (this is not shown in the message tracking) due to other reasons, this would allow you a better scope as well.

But I suspect based on your findings, if the Exchange was not accepting with a 4XX response and stopping the connection - this would cause the bounce settings to come into play and hold the emails up until allowable.

Regards,

Matthew

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: